Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Mid Week Update

 

My goodness it is the middle of what could be considered the last full week of the month. Where on earth did May go. Heck in one month we will already be halfway through this year.

Today I decided that perhaps I should answer a few of the questions I have gotten over the past week.

First off my recipe for Lazy Cabbage rolls (or casserole).


I put a layer of shredded cabbage on the bottom of the casserole dish, and because I make this to freeze for meals later I often do this in tinfoil containers that have a lid. 

Next I mix rice, ground beef, salt, pepper and rice together and layer this over top. 

Another layer of shredded cabbage goes on top and then I use tomato juice or a mixture of tomato soup and water to pour over top.

I then bake it in the oven until cooked (adding more juice if necessary). Put the lids on if using the tinfoil trays once they have cooled a bit and label them. Easy peasy.


Next question I was asked was how far north do I live.

I live in Saskatchewan not to far from the international border between the United States and Canada. In fact if I travel 9 miles south I would be at the border crossing between Saskatchewan and North Dakota. 

We live in an area that is considered semi arid according to maps but there are times, usually in the early spring and late fall that we get lots of rain. Though the past few years that hasn't been happening. Rain all around us, but nothing really here. This year our rain came at the beginning of May, along with wet snow and in some areas hail as well. It would have been wonderful if the ground had not been frozen solid because of the really cold temperatures in April. So a great deal of the moisture became runoff into rivers, creeks and thankfully farmer's dugouts. 

As far as growing season, our last frost is usually our long weekend holiday in May (the Victoria Day Weekend) and most people plant their gardens and flowers at that time. This year however temperatures are very cool still in the evenings and we actually had frost here a couple of nights ago.

Our first frost is usually sometime in October. Harvesting of gardens and farmer's fields are usually done for the most part by this time. This year however farmers are having trouble getting fields planted due to rain puddling in the fields in my area. There has also been a bit of flooding. 

We can sometimes extend the life of flowers and gardens by covering them at night with blankets. Yet that only lasts for a short time before the frost gets too heavy.


Onto the last question.

What homemade stain removal product am I going to make?


I am going to try an easy one first by making a paste from baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I am told to spread this paste on the stain, rub it in well and let it sit for about 15 mins. before washing. I think because of the peroxide I would probably test it out in an area not seen to see if it takes the colour out. Another easy one given to me by a friend is to rub a dampened bar of soap briskly over the stain. 

We shall see if either of these work before I start to check out other ideas that look a bit more complicated.


Well off to make supper and then perhaps outside to bring in some of the tender plants I have sitting on the deck. I did plant a few of the more hardy ones today. Hope to get a few more out in their homes tomorrow.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. Re the stain you're trying to remove - if it's grease on clothing, try using Blue Dawn dishwashing soap on the spot - give it a rub and launder as usual. Works wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the recipe for your cabbage rolls, I may well try it. Thank you Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie,
    ...we could have been practically neighbors...I lived about an hour from that border for 7 years in North Dakota...and we absolutely loved it there...it was such a nice place to raise a child...and I think your cabbage recipe looks like it would be easy to 'veganize'...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like cabbage, but it doesn't like me; so it's something I avoid, but would think the casserole might be just as good without it? Our planting seasons sound about the same. Memorial Day to mid October, depending on the plants. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how easy it is to comment on your blog. Some of them have been frustrating for me lately. I love how your cabbage roll recipe sounds. I need to make something like that here for us. Thank you so much for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I'm going to have to try that recipe. All I need is the cabbage. I love stuffed cabbage. I'm growing some for the first time - my stomach is growling, just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh darn, I meant to add to my comment - I love hearing about other areas. Makes me want to pack up and move but traveling is much more plausible. But these days, even travel is up in the air - with the cost and uncertainty with all that is going on. I'm better to just stay home and do day trips.

    For stains I tend to use dawn - that stuff is good. When I was a teenager living on the coast, there was a Standard Oil spill from a tanker a few miles off our coast and we teenagers when down and rescued the seagulls and other birds - that was when I first heard about Dawn. That was like 1970 or so. We also sifted through the sand, and used Dawn to break it up. We did such a good job, that the oil company gave quite a bit of money to the teens of my town to build a youth center.

    We have a long growing season. I can mess up and plant again and still be okay. I really enjoyed this post.


    ReplyDelete
  8. THANKS OKAY ONE MORE QUESTION. Is the rice cooked or is it raw? I am going to make this. I have a head of cabbage and I love cabbage rolls.

    ReplyDelete