Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Midweek And Snow Bound

 


I am having loads of fun trying to find pictures that are already posted on my blog. Seems Blogger decided to give me albums and I have to look through all three to find what I want. Luckily today it was only two!!!

Well the snow has finally and truly arrived, and has arrived with a vengeance. Not blizzard conditions as there isn't enough wind for that, but enough snow has fallen today to cover up to the top of my 6" boots, and it is still coming down. 


Harvey has shoveled once already and things are filling in again between the house and the car shelter. I think he will need to bring the big guns out (the snowblower) tomorrow.


I did my shopping over two days this week and ouch. Between rising prices and shrinkage of packages I just do not know how families or young people can make it.

Here is a picture of what I purchased at the Co-op store. Pretty much all was on sale.


This small amount of food cost me $248.49 and the only meat I got was some pork chops, a rather large package of sole fish fillets, tins of salmon and tins of tuna. Some microwave popcorn for Harvey as a snack and some snack items for me. It's a good thing I stock up on beef and chicken when they are on sale and have a good selection of meats in the freezer. Much of this will last us more than a month so there is that. However dairy, produce and fruit will need to be purchased in a couple of weeks.

The day before I this I went to Walmart to take advantage of a few sale items, and pick up a couple of items we seen unable to do without. Add in a gift for my brother, a crossword book for Harvey, and some glitter for projects down the road.


This is what I came home with. There are also some treats to hand out for Halloween as I will not be going shopping before then. The grand total for this was $271.39 not including taxes. Meat whie there is one canned ham which Harvey uses to make sandwiches. This is the place where the cost is the least. I also have 2 packages of Nicorette to help Harvey with his no smoking. 


In many ways we are very lucky. I am able to stretch things like rubber when I have to. Great at making soups from scratch, and am starting to use more lentils and beans in my recipes next month. I have appliances to cook with and a roof over my head that is heated and has lights. It keeps going through my head on a loop that we are blessed, while so many others are not. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.


8 comments:

  1. Ok - not ready for snow at all. We are in the 70's this week!!!! I will take that anytime. WOW - groceries are expensive there. Those items would not have cost anywhere close to those amounts here in central US. That is just crazy. Sure glad it is cheaper here. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These amounts are truly shocking to me, Jackie but, as you say, it will last you for a while. I shop weekly and sometimes my bill is over $60 but mostly it is around $40. Today it was $45 but I didn't need any meat. I'm just shopping for one. Sorry to hear you are snowed in. Hope it's not heading my way. It was 18C here today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're like me, in that you shop for sale items. I watch the flyers/Flipp app every week to keep an eye out for good prices. But as you mentioned, those darn grocers are working around us by shrinking the size of packaging.
    You certainly got a lot more snow than we did - I'd say maybe 3 inches here. However, the snow did a bit of melting and freezing and today the streets are horrid. My son did the driving today to our lawyer's appointment. I have to go out tomorrow, but I won't go far.
    Hopefully the snow stops falling soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Canadian snow! Stay warm. Glad you got all your shopping in. I agree, it is frightening to see the prices soaring, and what once cost £40 now costs around £60. But as you say, we are blessed to be able to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see the snow! Here in the South we have to wait a while longer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuck, yuck AND yuck!!!! I'd be crying enough already if we got that much snow.
    As for rising costs, they're getting worse all the time it seems but what annoys me is that the farmers aren't seeing any of that increase. It seems the grocery companies (and the banks!) are more concerned about their profits than they are with having a conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about how much more expensive everything is these days. Like you, I can usually eke things out pretty well. We tend to eat smaller portions these days too which helps. I do sometimes wonder how families manage these days. It must be a struggle for them. I feel very grateful for what we have and our ability to keep to a budget pretty much. There are always things that I'd like to be able to buy, but I can do without most of them as they are just wants, not needs.

    ReplyDelete