Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Tuesday Tidbits and Stuff

 


Another rainy and dark day. I did manage to get the shopping done before the rain changed from a mist to a regular rainfall. Right now there is nothing coming down, but the sky is still overcast and the day is gloomy.

Harvey should be able to bottle his beer in a couple of days. It really takes so much less time than the wine kits. Kris is happy that his Dad is working on the gift he gave him for Christmas. He does have another kit, to do and this one is a grapefruit beer.... Very different.

Me well I have been doing the usual household tasks, working on various projects and once this scarf is finished (should be done by Saturday), I plan on working on a few of my other goals and pulling out the fabric to make those cloth napkins. I have a couple of table cloths I do not use and will probably cut those up to make the napkins. If I don't have enough I will make a trip to the secondhand store and see if I can find any more tablecloths to use. I really would like enough to last at least 2 weeks. Any over that amount I will add to Kurt and Kris's Christmas hampers.

Shopping is becoming a necessary evil. Shrinkflation is getting worse and costs are still rising. I did manage to get some good deals, but really nothing meat wise this week. I will certainly be stretching things out for the next while, and I am wondering about our regular roast meals on a Sunday.... Harvey's mom usually did a sort of fried, baked chicken meal on Sundays and perhaps that is what we will move to doing. At least until good sales happen once again which really could be awhile. 

I took a look at Walmart's yellow sticker meats today. While they were marked down, the savings really wasn't as high as I had hoped. However this time around the meat looked pretty good (mostly chicken and sausages). I will definitely keep my eye on this over the next few months. This is the only store in my city that has mark downs of food items so I am pretty sure they are well picked over. 

I think my next frugal habit (added the month of July) will be trying to do much more foraging than I have ever done before, as well as concentrate on more meatless meals if at all possible.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



7 comments:

  1. We're having eggs, bacon, biscuits, and gravy for dinner. I'm stretching the grocery budget with some cheaper meals in between. Heck, I'd be happy with just the bacon and biscuits and gravy, and the way prices keep going up, that's probably next!
    We're fine - I just wanted to throw in some inexpensive meals in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll look forward to hearing what meatless meals you are enjoying

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might ask the grocer when they do their price reductions on things. Then go the next morning if possible. Might help you find more deals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to have a 'roast' every Sunday but sometimes it is frozen leftovers from a previous roast dinner and sometimes the meat is not roast although some of the vegetables are.
    And sometimes I buy a few slices of cold meat from the deli counter and heat them in gravy. Cooking for one, it works. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed that the markdowns are higher now than they used to be, which makes it so we don't get very many markdowns these days, unfortunately. A lady and I joked in the clearance aisle at Walmart the other day that even the clearanced items were high nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to avoid Walmart meat as, at least here in the city, it looks pretty awful most of the time. The Independent grocer in town, though, does mark down their meat on occasion and my daughter has found some good deals there. It's hard these days not breaking the bank at the grocery store.
    Hopefully, the gardens will produce well this summer...if we ever get summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of the meat I buy these days is yellow stickered. Everything seems so much more expensive.

    ReplyDelete