Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Something I Love

During the past few months I have been trying to make more meatless meals and finally pulled out a recipe that we really enjoy but haven't had for awhile.

This is a picture of our leftover Moroccan Red Lentil Soup after our evening meal. I got to use up a few bags of items from the chest freezer, as well as some leftovers in the fridge making it.

Moroccan Red Lentil Soup

2 tbsp. olive oil
2 chopped onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
6 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 tbsp. tomato paste
2 peeled, cubed potatoes
19 oz. can tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup sour cream

Heat oil in Dutch oven and cook onions, garlic and celery until softened about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and ginger. Cook, stirring often for another 2 minutes. Add water, lentils, tomato paste, potatoes, and tomatoes. Break up tomatoes with a spoon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 35 minutes. Add peas and simmer until veggies and potatoes are tender which is about 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls. Put a dollop of sour cream on each and serve. 

This made enough for the two of us to have three meals each, plus there will probably be leftovers for lunch.

Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a delicious, flavour packed dish. I think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the few vegetarian dishes that I can get Harvey to eat.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Jackie, I love good soup recipes and I will try this one, too; it sounds so good, especially for cold, rainy days. I copied it. Thanks, Mary

      Delete