Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Thrifty Tuesday

Over our married life, Harvey and I have discovered that the more you can do on your own the thriftier you can be.

This past week (well since last Tuesday) Harvey has been painting and removing bits of furniture from the house. Since he seems to save all kinds of things in his basement work room we have done this at a very low cost. Paint was bought on sale for the walls, and the ceiling paint was already in his basement cubby. He used some cheesecloth to put the ceiling paint through to make sure there were no lumps from sitting for so long. Now our next ceiling painting (bedroom or bathroom) is ready to go. Harvey used to get rid of lumpy paint in a flash, but now is more willing to do what is necessary in order for it to be useable.

Me, well I fixed the pocket on a pair of Harvey's shorts (top stitched it even, which isn't my favourite thing to do, darned a pair of my socks, and hemmed the sugar bags for those tea towels. Today those same tea towels got a transfer ironed on them (transfers inherited from my Mom so no cost, as were the sugar bags). I will be doing the embroidery while relaxing at the cabin.

I have almost finished the dress I cut out a few months ago. Pretty sure I can finish it tomorrow, and pictures will be up on Thursday.

Using up the leftovers in the fridge is another thrifty thing to do, as well as the processing and dehydrating of garden produce. Lots of lovely items in the freezer and on the pantry shelves for our winter enjoyment.

Kris was home and so I did a bit of baking. Since both Harvey and I are trying to lose weight some of the baking went home with him as well as two tinfoil meals and some garden produce. No wasting here this week.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

1 comment:

  1. I can't picture sugar bags as only ones I know are made of paper but sounds good to repurpose them. I've kept paint as well ready for when I move.

    ReplyDelete