Sunday, November 15, 2020

Sunday Ramblings


 It has been a quiet day, one in which I worked on and finished my Bible Study homework, and watched Mass once more on the television. Things are locking down once again, and it could be awhile before we actually get all the parish together to celebrate. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can finish this study, unlike the one at the beginning of the pandemic.


I am finding this study to be a bit more difficult to really get into. Part of it could be that there is no small group sharing, and part of it could be that I really have never understood the Psalms. Even though they are a big part of Catholic liturgy (and Jewish liturgy as well) I have always thought of them as just something that was a book in the Bible, and not an easily understood one either. I have been getting a little more insight into them over the past weeks, but I am not sure if they will ever be my favourite portion of scripture. 


The hidden meanings escape me, the images that are invoked don't make sense to me. The only one I enjoy is the 23rd, that one brings me peace and a sense of love and forgiveness, of someone watching out for me, keeping me safe from all harm. 


Perhaps by the time this study is over I will have the clarity and understanding that I seem to be searching for.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.


God bless.

3 comments:

  1. May I offer you one of my favourite psalm lines? It's from Psalm 84 in The Book of Common Prayer
    Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee:
    in whose heart are thy ways.
    Who going through the vale of misery use it for a well:
    and the pools are filled with water

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a peaceful Sunday. 23rd Psalm is the only one I know not being a Bible reader and that comes from my childhood, when we learned it. :)
    Frugally challenged has posted a nice one too. I used to be great at remembering poems and recitations but not any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried drawing a picture, or doodling as you read the Psalms I find that they become more familiar and then easier to understand. We haven't been together for bible study since March but do zoom meetings which I struggle with.

    ReplyDelete