Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Thrifty Tuesday

 

Another week of managing the household as economically as possible. Though with rising prices this is becoming a bit of a challenge.

I have been cleaning out the fridge freezer over the past week. Using up the bits and bobs that seem to have accumulated. This meant no real roast meal this week, instead I managed to heat up some ham (thus saving the ham in the freezer for later). I also used up most of a package of frozen leftover beef. Slowly but surely using those items up and getting the most from my grocery dollars.


I have been making sure the dishwasher is completely full before running it, and only handwashing dishes once a day. Really until baking begins washing dishes once a day is no problem. After all the dirty dishes for the most part are in the dishwasher. Saves water, dish soap, and time. 


Today I made myself a new nightie. Probably about 8 months ago I purchased some rather inexpensive knit fabric. Perfect for what I needed, and I have a new nightgown for about half the cost of buying one in the shops. Better quality for the most part as well.


I froze a leftover banana to be used later to make either muffins or a tea loaf.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.


God bless.






4 comments:

  1. Your nightie sounds nice & comfy, Jackie. I am absolutely certain that it's much better quality than what you can buy in the store these days. I've got nice heavy nightgowns that my mom (RIP) bought me a l-o-n-g time ago and they still look like new, despite being worn all the time in winter. I worked in Carson, Pirie, Scott in my teenage years and I remember the clothing being very high quality then too. Several years before they closed, Carsons started to carry the cheap clothing from China and I could tell instantly... along with a lot of other people. I think that's why they went out-of-business. What people went there to find, all those years ago, just weren't being found as of late. Why pay the extra prices when the clothing quality was no better than Walmart. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea to make your own nightwear not something I thought about to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our grocery bill has definitely rose, but mostly due to buying things in bulk and stocking up, along with hubby doing the shopping now (mostly, I do the online order so that helps with superstore). Also we've had to buy some expensive things like protein shakes and whatever I feel like eating after chemo plus lots of beef to try and keep my hemoglobin up. We are spending less in other areas though. You are so talented in your sewing and knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prices have really gone up here. So I am more careful, and we do always eat all of our leftovers.

    ReplyDelete