Saturday, August 27, 2022

Frugal Journey Continued

 


I just love this definition of frugal. It really says what I feel frugal living is. 


As I said before our (or should I say my) frugal journey did not really start until Harvey was laid off and I found out I was expecting our second child. I actually cried on the way home from the doctors as at that moment I did not know how we would manage. Not that I wasn't happy to be having another child, more the idea of stretching very little in order to keep this baby and Kurt happy clothed and well fed.

Yes, at that time we lived in the small village that Harvey grew up in and people were awesome. Many hired him to do odd jobs around their homes. One friend hired him to help build a pig barn, and his brothers and father hired him to help on the farm. 

Those jobs kept us able to pay bills and the mortgage on the mobile home we lived in but didn't give much extra. 

We had a garden for veggies, and when his parents butchered there was always a package of meat for us to take. Things were tight and bound to get tighter yet. 

By saving the money my parents gave me for birthday and Christmas as well as just small gifts throughout the year I was able to purchase my first sewing machine. That machine got a lot of use mending, and making clothing for me and the children. Fabric was much cheaper then, and our Woolworths had a lovely selection. My first frugal purchase really.

I then had my Mom show me how to darn socks, another frugal move as we weren't replacing them as often and those that were darned too many times to darn once more were turned into dust cloths or ties to use in the garden.

Entertainment became playing pong (does anyone remember that game which was attached to your television) that was a gift from one of Harvey's brothers for Christmas that year. 

During harvest that fall Harvey got a call to report to work with an oil company. His first job was as a maintenance man with Suncor and he worked his way up to an Operator 6 which at that time (and I believe still is) the highest level before becoming a foreman which was his next step up.

Still because of the debt incurred while he was out of work it took awhile to become able to afford a few extras, and after black belt frugality for so long, it was difficult to let the purse strings out a bit. 

I am afraid we both went a bit spend crazy for awhile, but once we bought the house, I realized that a frugal life was the best way for us to pay off the house and put money in the bank for our retirement. 

So each month I added a new frugal move to our life. Some were much easier to do. 

I lowered the heat a degree or two, made some draft dodgers for the doors and before we got our new windows I got Harvey to use the plastic on them. That was our first winter in the house. Then I would turn the heat down a bit lower yet at night, and turn it up when I got up in the morning. Still doing this only now we have an energy efficient furnace and a thermostat that will do those things for us.

In the spring I got Harvey to fix the clothesline (a very old one) and used it spring, summer and fall. I was lucky in that for some reason we didn't get rain on my Monday wash days. I then had him put up lines in the basement to use in the winter (they get used on rainy days as well). 

After doing some reading I started the dilute or add water to wash out the last bits of shampoo, conditioner, laundry spot remover, dish soap, and items of this nature. When that went over well, I started to cut open tubes of toothpaste and hand/body lotion. That didn't go over as well with Harvey, he began to think I was being too cheap. Took me taking a rolling pin to the toothpaste to show him how much was left before he let me go on with cutting things open.

I collected the bits of soap and put them in an old knee high stocking and we used that outside to wash our hands when working in the garden. Still do this as I have lots of old knee highs from when I worked still. 

There were many more little things added to our lives some have become so ingrained I can't even remember life before. 

Still there is always something to learn and add to our lifestyle. 

I had never thought of saving the spoonful of veggies that could be leftover in a container in the freezer and be used to make soup until someone on a forum I visit mentioned it. 

Never made bread until I realized how much we could save. I did make buns, not as often as I could have though.

A price book was something that took me awhile to understand, I honestly could not grasp why one would need one. In a way I am very lucky as I can remember regular prices and what is a good sale price (right now that is not really working as the sale price is in many cases the old regular price). I can see how that would work wonderfully though. 

I still sew, but am known to take clothes apart and refashion them, or in some cases take apart and cut up to use in quilts, or rugs. 

I also take apart sweaters and reuse the yarn once washed and straightened. 

Now most of my gifts are handmade and something one of the family has mentioned they would like and in many cases are made from recycled fabric, leftover yarn, or sale fabrics. 


Life is good and we do not feel like we are missing anything at all. Our home is comfortable, if we really need something our frugal lifestyle enables us to purchase it with cash and traveling around Canada seeing our great and amazing country keeps us well entertained.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.





9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story - I found it interesting. I have had to be frugal during several periods of our marriage and now that we are both retired, I am starting again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frugality is something we have struggled with over the years but I think the bare bones of it were ingrained in me from childhood. We lived on a farm - a one man operation and there was no money for any extras. The animals came first (rightly so because they were our livelihood). We didn't have a bathroom until my grandfather died when I was in middle high school and left my dad a little bit of money that allowed my parents to put one in. I still appreciate hot running water. Apartment life now means we don't have to worry about our water useage or our heating because it's all included in our rent, but it's still better for the environment to pay attention to what we use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to hear how and why your frugal habits emerged. I agree that it is hard to splash out when you've spent years being careful with money. I find it hard to buy expensive things, as I just don't need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, that is the perfect definition, thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jackie. Growing up through the war years ad after instilled a measure of frugality into me, but I have sometiems had to work on it. It's easy to confuse 'want' with 'need'!
    I frequently have little dishes of leftover sauce or vegetables, and they always get used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that definition! How wonderful that you had support of family and community during your difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading about your journey in frugality. You turned a difficult time into an opportunity.
    And I learned something, I'm going to start tucking away those spoonfuls of vegetables in the freezer for soup. I truly hadn't thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many good ideas. I think we all need to learn to live frugally. I know my grandchildren certainly do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the story of my life my dear.

    ReplyDelete