Sunday, August 28, 2022

Sunday Ramblings

 


I went out early today to pick herbs and garden produce and I am glad that I did. The rain arrived at around noon and has been coming down ever since. Not too hard just a gentle drizzle most times. 


I thought I would answer a few questions today that for some reason I missed over the past week or two.


Yes, Sandy I have always frozen my homemade baked beans. They taste wonderful. 

Now I kind of forget (forgive me please) who asked about the eggplant meal I made. It is kind of an eggplant chickpea stew. Here is the recipe.

Greek-Style Eggplant Recipe

1.5 lb eggplant cut into cubes (you don't need to peel)

Kosher salt

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 large onion chopped

1 green bell pepper chopped

1 carrot chopped (I used two)

6 cloves garlic minced

2 bay leaves

1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp ground coriander (didn't have so left out)

1 tsp oregano

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp black pepper

28 oz can of chopped tomatoes (I used diced)

2 15 oz cans of chickpeas, reserve the liquid


Heat oven to 400 F. Place eggplant cubes in a colander over a large bowl or in the sink, and sprinkle with the salt. Let set for about 30 minutes or an hour to allow eggplant to sweat out bitterness. Rinse well and pat dry.

In your casserole (I used an enamel coated cast iron one), heat 1/4 cup olive oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add the onions, peppers, and chopped carrot. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly, then add the spices and a dash of salt. Cook until fragrant.

Now add the eggplant, chickpeas and liquid as well as the tomatoes. Stir to combine. 

Bring to a roiling boil for about 10 minutes. Stir often. Remove from stove top. Cover and transfer to the oven.

Cook for about 45 min or until eggplant is cooked to very tender. Check to make sure there is enough liquid. If more needed you can add 1/2 cup of water. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. Could you give your baked bean recipe, please? I'm experimenting at the moment and haven't got it quite right. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often forget things i want to add to my past as well a answer queries. Good on you for following up.
    I love eggplant but not Bill. If mine ever produce, i was late planting, i just like them fried up for lunches. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. We freeze our baked beans and also our bean soup, mainly because one batch makes too much for us to eat in a timely manner. Resident Chef has also frozen bean salad and it works well too. Really wish we liked eggplant because we'd try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete