Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Baked Bean Recipe

Baked Bean Recipe


Now this is more of a little bit of this and a little bit of that kind of recipe. Also if it doesn't look right add a bit more of something. We like our baked beans very dark so I am always adding more molasses (I think in the UK it would be treacle???).


1 lb navy beans


Now put the beans in a large pot and cover with water. As the beans swell you will have to add more water. Leave to soak overnight. 

Parboil the beans for at least one hour in the morning. Skim off the foam that comes to the top.

Pour off the water and put the beans in the slow cooker and cover with fresh water. 


To this add diced bacon (I used thick cut bacon this time around and only used 10 slices) if using thin bacon you might have to use an entire pound. Stir this into the beans.


Add a good squirt of mustard, approximately 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and about 1/4 cup of molasses. You can add a bit of ketchup here if you want as well. Mix well and set the slow cooker on high for about 2 hours and then turn to low for at least 6 hours. Test your beans to see if they are done to your liking. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

8 comments:


  1. Goingnto give those beans a try. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that! I shall have another experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds absolutely gorgeous. I had to look up what navy beans are and they turn out to be haricot beans in the UK.
    I might give it a go except in a smaller amount - it sounds like it makes quite a lot!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my mom making baked beans, with the soaking of the beans overnight. It seems to me the ones that floated to the top were tossed out. Does that sound right?
    She had a special pot that she baked them in - and now I wonder where that pot went.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. I have never made baked beans as I did not like them as a child. But I eat alot of other bean dishes. So I am going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that sounds absolutely delicious Jackie! And it should make up a good size quantity too I'm thinking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect baked beans (and bean soup) will be soon making an appearance in our kitchen too. Resident Chef makes big batches of each and stocks up our freezer for the winter.

    ReplyDelete