Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Tuesday Tidbits

 

It has been cloudy all day, but no storm as of yet. A few flakes fell earlier but nothing that amounted to much of anything. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get the amount of snow that the weather pundits are predicting. 

Kris sent me a picture of the hanging strawberry plant he brought in. Seems that this morning it decided to blossom. I told him that at least he knows it is still alive and perhaps able to survive until he puts it out next spring. 

I am working away on the quilt and things are moving right along. My decision not to jump between projects seems to be working so far. I am hopeful that the binding will be on and finished by Friday. 

Baking in earnest will begin once the quilt is done. I may have to cut back a little, but I still should get a good selection of treats made. 

My back feels pretty good right now. It only bothers me if I sit for an extended period of time. That means I get up and move around quite often even if it is only for a few minutes.

I have decided to try something next year. I have always been frugal, sometimes more than others, but this coming year I am going to see how well I can do on a Buy Nothing New challenge. The only new items I will allow myself are flowers for the garden (don't count veggies as that is Harv's baby), new runners/sneakers, and any item I might need to make a gift. I may add fabric for clothing in as I need to make some capris and shorts for the summer and I am not sure if I have enough to do so. Could be lucky and able to pick up what I need second hand or at a garage sale.  I am calling it my "Frugal Like Never Before" challenge. 

Off to get supper on the table and perhaps visit a few of you before I do so.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

5 comments:

  1. If anyone can do this, it’s you. I’m frugal but for right now, that doesn’t interest me. Years ago when my husband changed jobs to work for the State of California - we had to wait through the whole month of January before he got his first check. That was fun at first but by week 2 it started to get hard. We were counting our pennies, cashing in anything of value to keep from taking money out of the savings. We made it but I wouldn’t want to do that again - at least I know we could do it if we had to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've managed for years on a low spend/no spend, I still have loads of clothes Ito wear, like so many others I had far to much of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am terrible for switching between projects all the time. I find it helps keep my interest, but good for you for persevering and finishing each one. My projects are just for me though, so don't really have a time limit on them.
    Your Frugal Like Never Before project sounds interesting. I'm not sure I could commit to something like that after just four months of being super frugal when I didn't have a job this year. I found it hard at times. Good luck with it though. I'll be following with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty much 85% at not buying anything new for myself. It's mostly clothing that I find at thrift stores, but I did purchase a small cooking pot and lid when I burnt my old one. To be fair, I really don't need much either. The hand bag I purchased at Salvation Army is probably the nicest bag I've ever owned.
    The thing with thrift shopping is not finding what you want or need at that moment. For example, now would be the time to purchase capris/t-shirts because they get very picked over by late spring/early summer. Just an fyi, they're usually priced around $8-11 at Value Village and a little less at Salvation Army. I have no idea what it would cost you to make them for yourself.
    Not much snow here either and looking at the radar it doesn't appear we'll see much later today. I'm okay with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new challenge and will be avidly following your progress. Over the past couple of years I haven't purchased anything to speak of beyond the necessary supplies to create gifts (unless my stash yielded what I needed). I think I've only purchased two new tops and definitely no jeans or pants. They're very hard to get in my leg length. Both Resident Chef and I change into flannel loungers as soon as we get home and that certainly saves on 'good' pants for both of us.
    We stopped in at the local thriftie this morning but didn't buy anything. Their prices are practically as much as buying new...RC was looking for a glass loaf pan which they had, but for $6 - a price he can pay to get a brand new one.

    ReplyDelete