Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Thrifty Tuesday

Really only one thrifty move this week that is different from other weeks. 

I always save the sheets that no longer fit our bed due to shrinkage or worn areas. I do this for backing on quilts, making small gift bags or new pillow cases. I had a lovely blue set of sheets that got too small to fit the bed any longer a few years ago, and put them away for use later. 

Then one Christmas Harvey wanted a lighter pair of pj bottoms. Guess what part of those sheets became. Yesterday I took the last bit and made curtains for our basement bedroom from them. Managed to use up most of the top sheet on that one. The bottom sheet will be used as backing on the blue striped quilt top. It feels great not to be adding to the surplus of fabric and clothing that is/might be sent overseas where if they can't use it will be burned.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. What great uses for those sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hated throwing away something that could still be useful.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. My son loves flannelette sheets. When they wear into holes I cut them into squares to use as handkerchiefs. They are lovely and soft, especially when you have a cold and your nose is sore and chafed. This is something my mother used to do when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, thank you so much for the tip. I think this is a wonderful idea.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I haven't always upcycled things, but as I age I am really enjoying figuring how to get new items from old.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Well done on the up cycling .. it takes a bit of creativity to use what is to hand rather than rushing to the store.

    ReplyDelete