Sunday, January 2, 2022

Sunday Ramblings

 

The sun is shining today, the temperature has risen and I even got out and about for some fresh air. I did my shopping today, took down the small Christmas tree upstairs, and worked on my rug for a bit (taking a break now as my fingers are becoming all thumbs). 

I picked up a free rapid test box (contains 5 tests) at the grocery store. I would love to have another on hand, but I noticed the store seems to be running low on them. Hopefully the provincial government gets more and distributes them to the same drop off places. We are lucky here in Saskatchewan that they are free and fairly easy to get. I also picked up some more 3 ply masks. Chances are we will be wearing them for awhile. 

I have been thinking about some financial goals for this year and making a list of things that will probably need doing this year. We have a tree that is dying that needs to be removed, and our water heater is more than likely on its last legs (it has actually lasted longer than it was supposed to with our hard water). I would also like to get rid of our plastic fridge containers and move to glass ones. 

We did very well at staying under budget for the year, but things are rising and I know they will get worse. While I can't do a challenge only using the money I have managed to squirrel away over the past year, what I can do is try to only spend the bare minimum. I don't want to deplete the pantry and freezers too much because one never knows what could happen down the road. Storms, lockdowns (not that we have ever had a real lockdown), or just plain not wanting to go shopping. Even though I mostly bought sale items today my grocery bill was high. It does seem a bit less when I take into account that it is for two weeks, but I would like to get it lower if possible.

I will have a no buying of yarn and fabric until all I have in my stash is pretty much gone. I haven't been spending much on those hobbies, or on my cross stitch hobby so this should be easily done. Pretty sure except for a very few items I have enough for my Cricut as well. 

Clothing wise, I think other than a new pair of trainers for Hubby and I (and perhaps underwear and socks) we should be just fine for the year. 

My jars of change will help pay for our family reunion, and by using our credit card we will get money back on the mini vacation (if you can call being around extended family that calls you names for being vaccinated and wearing a mask a vacation).

I am still thinking of some personal goals and will probably report on those a bit later.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless. 



10 comments:

  1. you are so lucky yo have RAT tested available and for free. We have to buy them here they say but goodluck finding one to buy.........you have set some good goals there.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started our döstädning (Swedish Death Cleaning) at Christmas .. My mother's china along with mine given to our daughters. Today a box to Value Village. BUT .. your blog has me thinking that with retirement, we are going to have to do some major thinking about what goes and what just might be needed in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prices are rising here as well, our shopping bill was much higher. I had a low spend year last year on craft, clothes and books, and I still have plenty of everything, so I am not planning any shopping trips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's almost impossible to get the tests here at the moment, pharmacies have run out. I have two in the cupboard but they get used up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your goals this year Jackie. I'm sure you will attain them, as you are very disciplined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely don't call it a vacation if your family makes fun of you & calls you names, for being vaccinated or for any reason! I'm sorry to hear that. We feel so lucky that M was vaccinated when he got sick. This current version is spreading so quickly & is almost impossible to avoid, if you leave the house.

    Your financial goals sound great! I'll be cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mention of the free rapid tests had me researching where to find them here in Regina - I'd heard that the Chamber of Commerce had them but that was it. I'm happy to say the local Co-op should have them too, as well as Superstore. So I'll drop by one or both when I shop this week.

    I did well on my budget this past year, with the exception of groceries. I've revised this year's budget but still kept it below what I spent previously. My goal is to reduce food waste as much as possible as I think that will help with the costs.

    No, your mini vacation with anti-vaxxer extended family doesn't sound much like a vacation to me. You can't skip it and do something you'd really like to do?

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s good planning on your part to not let your pantry get depleted in case of the unknown. As far as clothing, I was reading about socks the other day and realized I don’t need any right now. But when I do I know where to get some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is hard to squeeze money out of the budget, but you are doing great. Your frugal ways do add up and I am so glad to be part of your world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rapid tests are in short supply here (Ontario) and they're now telling people not to bother going to get tested if they think they have the virus, simply because the system is so overwhelmed. That means that the numbers of positive people they're listing are no longer anywhere close to being accurate and the medical officer has said that the actual numbers are probably nearing 5x as many as they are announcing. Terrifying to think of! We're among the lucky ones and have our 3rd shot but now they're saying that there will be a 4th coming soon.
    I'm working hard to use up stash and not buy anything to add to it. Unfortunately my stash is mostly 'boyish' in nature and now, with a wee baby girl on the horizon, I have to change a little bit.

    ReplyDelete