Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Thrifty Tuesday

I suppose the thriftiest thing I did today was stay out of the stores. Mind you I had a great deal of help. It is rainy and cold, not fit for man or beast outside.

I also got something very unexpected in the mail, a gift card to one of the many eateries in town. It should more than pay for a meal. It seems as if the school I made the Puffed Wheat Cake for decided that since I did not want to be paid for my gift they would circumvent me by giving me a card in the mail. I do thank them from the bottom of my heart.

I am still turning the heat down in the bedroom and turning off lights in rooms not in use. I am hoping that this will help when our electric bill comes. The price of electric is supposed to be rising and we need to get a handle on that while we still can. I am not going to let it get out of control.

I will be taking my lunch with me to my subbing gig tomorrow, leftovers from yesterdays meal. Using up as much as we can saves us money in the long run. A penny here and a penny there does add up over a whole year.

Harvey pulled the snow blower out to get it ready for our first big snowfall. It would not start. In reading the booklet he saw that it was recommended that the spark plug be changed out every second year. Our snow blower is three years old so past time for this to be done. The book recommended it be taken to the dealer, but Harvey did it himself and saved us some more money.

Here is a thrifty tip I have tried and will be using once again this fall.

To bleach grimy grout mix 1 cup bleach in 1/2 gallon water. Scrub with an old toothbrush and let sit for 10 to 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Rinse a second time and wipe dry with a cloth. Much less costly than those grout cleaners, and it uses items you already have in your home.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Restaurants give such huge portions that we usually have at least one meal from the leftovers. Right now we have the heat set on 68 but it's been in the 70s again so it isn't coming on.

    MamaBear

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just given me the push I needed, I've been putting off grout cleaning for a while, better get to it.

    ReplyDelete