Friday, March 11, 2022

Frugal Friday


 Wow has this week ever passed by quickly. Things are going well here on the old homestead. Perhaps too well, however I need to check on something as our combined TV/phone/internet bill seems to have jumped by $20.00 over the last few months. Must check into why when I thought we had taken a lower television package. Perhaps it is time to get rid of the landline after all. 

Fuel took a twenty cent jump this week and it looks as if it will continue to rise. It is a good thing I don't go to work any longer and for an SUV our vehicle gets darn good gas milage. I am hoping that this next trip is the last we make to Regina until the weather improves. 


So what frugal happenings have been going down here on the old Phillips homestead.

1.  Laundry done in the usual frugal manner. I am wondering if we can manage to go an extra day or two between washings. Might give that a try this week. It could mean more hanging up on the lines downstairs but that is just fine.

2.  Only turning on the dishwasher when it is full, I wish that could be more than every second day but I seem to fill it after two days.

3.  Baking bread at least twice a week, and planning on trying my hand at homemade bagels, hamburger buns, and hotdog buns. Though the old fashioned slices of bread still work around here right now.

4.  Nothing going to waste. Extra food is frozen for another meal, or made into a tinfoil dinner for youngest DS. Really working on using all food and other items up. 

5.  Extending the meat portions of meals by using more vegetables. 

6.  Getting together recipes for personal products. I love the scrub I made and will be making more, plus other bath items as well.

7.  Added another two meatless meals a month. 

8. Using appliances to cook more of our meals.


So what frugal things have you been up to this week?


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.





4 comments:

  1. According to the news here it sounds as though the gas prices will be dropping over the next few days. Makes one wonder why they felt they had to increase it so much in the first place.
    As for frugal things here at Chez Magpie - we've eaten practically meatless all week. Resident Chef contemplated tossing the last couple spoonsful of dressing and decided we could split it for part of our lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuel took a big hike here as well, it is a real worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we could get rid of our landline but we live in a deadzone where our cell phones don't work. Having a dil who is a vegetarian has made it important for me to come up with more meatless meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why the price of fuels went up is a puzzle. We import virtually no oil from Russia, so it seems as though the O&G companies are simply taking advantage of a horrid situation. I'm grateful that I use a tank of gas about once a month unless I drive out to see my daughter.

    My most frugal thing was using leftover spaghetti and meat sauce for soup. I added the meat sauce to beef broth, added carrots and some Italian spices, simmered for 10 minutes before adding cut up spaghetti pieces. From a single leftover serving I got three bowls of soup for my lunch. Tastes delicious too.

    ReplyDelete