Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Thrifty Tuesday

This week the usual thrifty practices of mending clothing, and using up have been taking place.

When I did the 4" squares of knitting, there were bits and bobs left of the yarns I used. I have packaged them up and will use them to embellish or make Icord with. I am bound and determined to get every last penny I can from my purchase.

The same can be said about my fabric. While right now I have enough squares to keep me quilting for a very long time, I have put the bits and pieces away to be used as trim, or on cards once I get proficient with my Cricut (that is a work in progress right now).

Food waste is almost nil as what isn't used for suppers we eat at lunch.

Harvey is using leftover ceiling paint to do what he can with the hall and bedroom painting he is doing this week.

Harvey is also making wine from his wine kits. While the kits are fairly expensive, by the time we bottle it, the cost is about $3.00 a bottle, which is very inexpensive. We use it as hostess gifts, and other gifts throughout the year. We also drink a bottle or two or three...…….

Twist ties are being saved to use on my reusable produce bags once I get them made. Hopefully next month. These are being made from some old lace panels I found at the Salvation Army thrift store. I noticed some old sheets there as well and will be looking to buy a few once I get started making quilts. Winter is coming quickly and according to the Old Farmer's Almanac it is going to be a cold and blustery one. Those extra quilts could come in very handy.

The garden is producing very well and I plan on using as much as possible this year. The way the world is right now being thrifty is the best possible way to go (add frugal in there as well).

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



4 comments:

  1. I'll be interested in seeing your produce bags. I'm trying to remember to take back the plastic bags I get at the store to re-use but often forget. I do re-use plastic bags, washing and storing them for packaging other things. I like the idea of cloth bags far better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, especially here in the UK, we have no idea how Brexit is going to affect food prices or businesses and jobs. It's also looking like another recession may be on it's way, so frugality is our aim at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate seeing waste of any kind. Your ethos of frugality and simplicity are the foundation of a far less wasteful way of life, something we should all be working towards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our son has just opened a winery...he has grown grapes in the past in a large vineyard.
    I like a glass of wine every now and then but it has to be the sweet...not the dry.
    Yes, I read that we are going to have a cold and long winter this year...I have plenty of quilts to snuggle in!!

    ReplyDelete