Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Tuesday Tidbits

 


I woke up this morning to lots of wind, it did die down, but the temperature did not rise very much at all.

I worked around the house most of the morning and then traveled about a block to visit my friend for coffee. This will probably be the last time I go for pretty much the rest of the week. I checked our weather and was shocked to see this.

ALERTS IN EFFECT

Extreme Cold Warning

Issued at 15:39 Tuesday 21 February 2023

Extreme wind chill values in the -40 to -45 range are expected tonight for most of southern Saskatchewan as a bitterly cold Arctic airmass settles over the region.

Temperatures are expected to return to near seasonal values this weekend.

###

Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.

Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.

Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.

Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to SKstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #SKStorm.


Not at all conducive to wanting to be outside, and while the temperatures could rise the remaining days of the week, I still do not want to be out and about. 

I have lots that I can do around the house, so staying home is no problem. I have things to sew, projects to work on, and baking that I can do.

Harvey has started to make a couple of bird feeders for outside. He checked on line for the costs of buying them and found that he could make a few with the scraps of lumber he has downstairs for half the cost. This, even after purchasing some plexiglass and small hinges. It also gives him something to do during these last few weeks of a Canadian winter. 

I hope all of you who have pancakes today enjoy them, we will be finishing off the pork stir fry....  I forgot all about Ash Wednesday so of course I needed to make a menu change. I think Perogies tomorrow and then the homemade pizza, pancakes on Friday and Saturday we will finish off the homemade pizza. Just needed to change things around a little bit. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, please be careful with the bitter cold coming, Jackie. Staying indoors is a great idea and it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. That is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness. That is c-c-cold indeed. Stay safe and warm. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the right idea staying home in the cold spell. Stay safe. I look forward to seeing Harvey's bird feeders when they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke up this morning to -30C with windchill of -41C and decided to text the stitch and chat group to say I won't be there this afternoon. Since I can, I will stay home and stay warm. Like you, there's lots to do around here and besides there is curling to watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have plenty of indoor things to do to stay in and stay warm. Those temps sound beyond nasty. You're the 3rd blog I've hit this am that has mentioned pancakes. I've never heard of a connection before of Pancakes and Ash Wednesday etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrr on those temps. We're expecting an ice storm today, so all schools are closed. I've never observed 'no meat' during Lent, probably because I don't eat seafood and it's not mandatory for us. Our church does Shrove Tuesday though. Hope you & Harvey stay safe & warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We woke to snow this morning and it is cold out and the wind is blowing. I think I will also have pancakes for dinner. I was wondering what to make Autie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness me that is cold. I expect you are used to cold winter temps but not like this.

    ReplyDelete