Thursday, April 18, 2024

Thrifty and Frugal Thursdays

  Thrifty and Frugal  


It has been a relatively quiet week here on the old homestead. The weather has been so up and down that I have been able to work more inside than outside. We did get the outdoor furniture set up and now I wonder if that was a good thing since we have been getting snow today, with more to come as the evening progresses.

I have been decluttering, and really watching sales at the various stores here in the city. I usually only shop every second week, but there is a great sale on pork ribs at my Co-op so I will probably make a quick trip there to stock up for the summer. Saving almost $3.00 a pound it just makes sense to me. 

I altered a skirt this week, and darned another pair of Harvey's socks. 

Been using up some cleaning supplies as well, which considering how many I have is a very good thing. 

Shopping at home first as well.

I put my entire biweekly allowance in my savings envelope this week and added another $5.35 in change to the change jar. The change was mostly from Harvey, and found coins on my walks (that is getting harder to do, the found coins that is). 

Pulled some 4" heavier fabric squares from my stash to make another outside quilt for around the firepit. Just love how those things keep us toasty warm in the evenings.

Leftovers of leftovers were all used for lunches, and I am using up the bags of leftover roasts and such to make other meals. 

Lights are being turned off in the evenings, and I am making sure only a full dishwasher is being washed. 

Water saved in my kettle has been used to water plants and make an afternoon cup of tea or instant coffee. 

Planning a big soup making tomorrow to use up the broccoli in the crisper and the woody ends of asparagus. I will be making two kinds of soup and putting them in the freezer for meals another day.

Watching free shows on my television on PlutoTV, or other free streaming service. 

Looking forward to our free flowers and plants when we go up to Kris's place next week. I will be getting some eggplant, some calendula, and probably a few others.

Keeping an eye on the garage sale sites for more large pots for the yard as well. Those things are pretty darn expensive in the store. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wish we had a big freezer like we used to have but we can only fit a small apartment-size here and it's limited the amount we can buy on sale and keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like to look for pots at car boot sales, as they are expensive here too. Our weather has gone a lot colder this week too, which has been frustrating. I'm looking forward to some warmer weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must remember to keep the water that runs before it gets hot when I get the planters done this spring. It's a great idea and far better than letting it go down the drain.
    More snow here overnight, but I'm sure it will be gone by the end of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shopping at cn coop. So many goodies!

    ReplyDelete