Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Using Up The Leftover Chicken

I tried something totally new with my leftover chicken yesterday.

I made something called Stuffing Crust Pie.

Now, this tasted wonderful, but I think I would tweak it a bit the next time I make it. There was just too much in the way of stuffing crumb mixture, and I think I would make it a bit wetter as well.

2 tbsp. hard margarine or butter
1/2 cup chopped onion (finely)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup milk
10 oz condensed chicken broth (I used non condensed)
1/3 cup flour
2 cups frozen mixed veggies
1/4 tsp celery salt (didn't have so left out)
1/8 tsp onion powder
sprinkle of pepper
2 cups diced cooked chicken (could use turkey as well)

Melt margarine in a large frying pan. Add onion and celery. Cook until very soft. Remove from heat. Stir in the next 4 ingredients. Gradually mix in milk and hot water (next time I make this I will use 1/2 cup hot water). You should be able to squeeze the mixture and have it hold its shape. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping (I used a bit more than 1/2 a cup here). Press remaining mixture on bottom and up sides of a greased 9" pie plate.

Gradually whisk chicken broth into the flour in a small post until smooth. Heat until thickened, stirring and the mixture comes to a boil.

I had the remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl and poured the thickened sauce on top. Mixed it all together. Poured into the stuffing crust. Sprinkle top with remaining crumbs. Bake uncovered for 30 min or until heated through (mine took longer than 30 mins). Let stand 5-10 minutes. Cuts into 6 wedges (though mine needed to be kind of cut and scooped out).

There is enough for another meal for Harvey and I tomorrow. Changes my menu plan a bit, but I can live with it.

Just another way of using up the leftovers in my freezer.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious. I try to watch my carb intake...any suggestions for a substitute for the bread crumbs? Maybe I could use minced cauliflower ...although I’ve never tried it....??? Why does bread etc. have to be so unhealthy????? Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think minced cauliflower would work....You might have to change up some of the spices though. Perhaps a wild rice type of stuffing would work as well? But I think that is high in carbs as well?

      Delete