Sunday, September 27, 2020

Asked To Share

 Margie asked me to share my pattern for the face masks I make. So here it is with my own directions. We don't like ties, which the pattern instructions give so I changed it to suit.


I use this site for the pattern piece to cut out.

https://blog.fabriclandwest.com/face-masks/


Then change the pattern slightly.

Where it says to cut 1/2" off the inner piece I cut off an inch. After sewing the curved centers on both the inner and outer pieces, I turn the edges of the inner lining piece about 1/2" and sew it down as I would a hem. 


Then I pin the outer and inner pieces together right sides in and sew them together (ironing that 1/4 inch is a waste of time to me) using a 1/4" seam. 


I then turn the face mask right side out. Now the extensions on the outside of the mask once turned right side out I sew a 1/4" hem on the top and bottom up to the hemmed inner lining, after ironing the edges of the masks so that they are even. I then turn the ends in 1/4". Once that is done I turn the hemmed (folded edge in to just meet the lining and sew close to the inner edge forming a casing for the elastic to be threaded through. 


I cut 1/4" elastic into a piece 6" long (you can cut them shorter) and using a small safety pin thread the elastic through the casing and sew the elastic together to make the ear loop.  


I know people that edge stitch the face portion of the mask but I feel that the less needle holes in the mask the better so skip this. 


To shape the nose I cut a piece of pipe cleaner, put it in the mask and shape it to my nose. It can be removed that way for washing. I have also used them without any nose shaping and as long as my glasses cover the top of the mask they do not fog up.


Use good quality cotton (quilting cotton) to make these. Prewash the fabric and iron it before placing the pattern piece, and wash on delicate or by hand hanging to dry after they are made and you have worn it.


I have made filters to go in the mask from the blue shop cloths you can buy at an auto supply store or if you live in Canada at Canadian Tire. They slip into the pocket nicely and seem to be stronger than a paper towel or coffee filter which you can also use.


Hope this helps. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.


God bless.


4 comments: