Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Thrifty Tuesday


 Before I post the thrifty moves for the week, I thought I would answer a few questions.


I was asked what a crisp was by one of my UK readers. You call them crumbles, we call them crisps. 


The second question I was asked was by a fellow Canadian. She wanted to know what glace was. Glace is a German dish that is made with flour, and eggs (some people add a bit of baking soda to the stiff dough). The dough is dropped by tablespoons or teaspoons into boiling water which has diced potatoes almost cooked already. The spoonfuls are boiled until they float. Drained, and served with onions fried in margarine or butter. Eggs are served with them as well. Not a low cholesterol meal at all, so is one that we have perhaps once every two months. The glace taste wonderful cut up and browned in a non stick pan the next day as well.


Thrifty moves for this week have mostly been about the garden and harvest. I harvested a few seeds to try sowing next year as starters inside. 


The apple peels and cores from making the apple pie filling earlier this past week have been frozen. I will try and make apple jelly from them later on. I used to do this when I canned peaches with the pits and peels. That made wonderful jelly.


I used up some of the odd ball bobbins and thread in the sewing room to sew the blocks together on the denim blanket. You don't see the colours used once the sandwiching is done, and I hate to waste partial bobbins or part spools of thread.


I diced up some sweet pickles (since I did not have any sweet pickle relish) to add to the ham salad. Tasted wonderful.


The crusts of bread are adding up and I think I will soon have enough to make bread pudding, or perhaps bread crumbs.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.


God bless.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info re crisps. What we call crisps are known in some other parts of the world as chips. And what we call chips are known elsewhere as French fries. Isn't it wonderful how we don't have a common language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "glace" sounds like my "dumplings". Delicious! Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sound of glace, something that I have not come across before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not heard of glace either - they almost sound like perogies without the filling.

    Frugally challenged's comment is so true.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your explanation of glace. Where did you learn to make it??? Was it a family tradition or from Harvey’s family. I’ve never heard of that but my family cooking traditions were Irish Catholic and very much influenced by what was available from the garden. Good simple food. We were hungry when we came to the table and we appreciated almost everything that was put on the table. Thanks Jackie. Margie

    ReplyDelete