Thursday, February 8, 2024

Once Again A Combination



 Thrifty and Frugal


I have such a hard time separating thrifty and frugal habits here on the old homestead that I decided last week to combine them into one post. I hope to continue doing this over the year. 

The snow is still falling, and since the temperature really isn't that low (it is -2.5 C right now) things are a bit melting and then turning to ice. Harvey went to pick up some framing materials and said the roads are not nice at all. So glad that there is no where I need to be until the beginning of next week, and later in the week when I take Harvey to the hospital for his colonoscopy.

This has once again been a week of working on using items up, and perhaps doing a few substitutions with meals. Harvey can no longer eat anything with seeds and as I have some lettuce to use up our salad will consist of lettuce, grated carrots and some green onion over the next couple of days. As of Sunday that will even be cut out as his low fiber diet starts in earnest. 

I have been sewing, knitting, and cleaning the sewing/craft room. 

As far as sewing goes I used most of a piece of fabric I had for awhile to make a dress (there is a piece left that might just make a pair of knit shorts), and some bits of leftover fabric have been cut into aprons. 

Knitting wise I am using up some yarn that I have had for awhile to make myself a new sweater. More bits and bobs have been pulled to make some mug cozies for the family silent auction. Once the sweater is done that will be my next evening knitting project.

Lights are continuing to be shut off in rooms not in use. While the electric and heating bills are lower than last years, I can still work on them even more.

I baked a loaf of bread this week and then some buns.

All meals this week were made from scratch with what I have in the house.

There has been no spending on my part. I did use the card I won to purchase some clothing but this was not money from any account.

I am wearing an apron when working around the house and cooking. Sure does save on clothing.

Still hanging clothing on lines downstairs to dry.

Wearing slippers more around the house to keep my feet warm.

Making more of our snacks and sweets/desserts. 

Fixed a seam and darned a pair of Harvey's socks (rather than mine). 


So that is about all that is happening of a frugal and thrifty nature here on what I call the old homestead.

I have been very careful to only look at things that have great ratings on Facebook, and checked out their home pages. The seed company I am considering getting some kiwi vines from is a well thought of Canadian seed company.

The kiwi vines I am considering purchasing are suitable for Zone 3 which we are here in the southeast of my province. All the companies that sell them also tell how to even grow them in lower temperature zones. These only grow the size of grapes, but give wonderful flowers, scent and great coverage. We shall see I am still thinking and not too sure what I will go with.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



10 comments:

  1. I've been busy knitting trying to use up part-balls of yarn to make hats for donation. The pattern I found calls for doubled strands of yarn so I thought that would help go through my stash quickly. Not so - I swear it's mutiplying instead of dwindling!
    One frugal-ish thing Resident Chef and I do now is to change into 'house clothes' (ie. flannel lounge pants) as soon as we return home. It sure saves wear and tear on our better clothes which should save us money in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think thrifty and frugal kind of go hand in hand. You really had an accomplished day and week. Hope the weather gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing your makes. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A low fiber diet doesn't sound very appetizing to me. I hope all goes well with Harvey's tests.
    We were supposed to get more snow yesterday but thankfully it didn't appear.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super curious to see how the kiwi vines look. They sound fun!

    Hope the prep for the colonoscopy goes well for Harvey. That's never a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great and productive week for you. And I agree that frugal and thrifty go hand in hand .:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love aprons. I wish I had my grandma’s aprons. They were so soft and pretty. I can’t find an apron that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make most of our meals from scratch, that's the way it is over here. Except of course unless we order the occasional take away meal like pizza, or Indian. However, I did top three pizzas the other week using store bought pizza bases, one to cook, two to freeze for later. But I'm nowhere as thrifty as you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking spring here, I saw my first Red breasted Robin today. Hope all is very well with you & Harvey has a good report. Faith@CrochetbytheSeaEst2008

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a very productive week. I'm very interested to hear more about the kiwi vines. It's a fruit we love. I wish I could plant a guava tree, but our climate's not good for it. Hope you both have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete