Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Tuesday Tidbits

 


A regular day here on the Phillips homestead. I did household tasks, dug through my yarn stash and found yarn for the next lapghan, and some thinner yarn to make some tanks for myself to wear in the summer. Really working on the shopping at home first, before I even think about adding new items to my yarn stash. Now, I just need to put those yarns into project bags and plan on when I will be starting those projects.



With rising costs, old fashioned ways of saving money and cutting costs is pretty much a must for those of us on a fixed income. Housing prices here have dropped rapidly, what we could have gotten for our home a few years ago has been cut by probably 25% at least. Our city depends upon oil and coal, with some farming and ranching factored in as well. People are leaving for what they consider greener pastures in other areas of the province. 

So this will be a year of make do and mend, a few more meatless meals in the month, making my own salves and lotions, cutting back on wants instead of concentrating on needs, growing more veggies/herbs and perhaps finding a second source of income. It isn't that we have to do this, but if we ever move to the bigger center near us home or condo purchases will be that much higher. I will still probably purchase a loom as I have been saving for one and could use it to make our own small rugs and other items to either sell or gift. 

The other rather major purchases we will be making is new flooring for the hallway, paint for the ceilings, and paint for the hallway. Must keep the house looking fairly decent for when we put it up for sale. Buying on sale will help keep the costs down even if we have to hire someone to do the ceiling painting.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.





8 comments:

  1. it's funny you should mention moving, we were talking about it the other week. We're not moving, but were saying when should we down size to a condo, as we are getting older. Keeping your house updated though is a good thing to keep it's value up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prepping a property for sale is definitely a lot of work. It sounds like you have some good ideas of what needs to be done.
    Your ability to do so much continues to amaze me. I like your idea of putting yarn into bags for certain projects. I've got my yarn in containers sorted by color which is good when I'm looking for a certain color but not so much for identifying the appropriate weight and amount of yarn needed for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have so much work to do on our house and garden this year. It has been a bit neglected for a while, but I'm hoping that we will make progress this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving, downsizing or whatever is on our minds too. But everything has gotten so expensive around here, it is crazy expensive esp. the rents. I really don't know how families are getting by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you crochet your summer tank tops? I would love to find a simple pattern for some. Even a '70's' style halter top. I know at my age it's silly but i love them and at home on the Ridge, working in the garden, to get the sun on my back. 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh sounds as though you're going to be busy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all about economy and I am so happy to have the skills I do. But it is friends like you and blogs like this that really help. New ideas, good examples, they all help so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have some good plans in place for projects to keep you busy for awhile.

    ReplyDelete