Thursday, October 27, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 

I think I will answer a question first.

I belong to Neilson HomeScan (has a new name now but I can never remember it) and each week send a scan of my purchases into them. I get points for each scan I send, and if I send 4 scans in a row, I get extra points. The points can be used to purchase gift cards, or items in their catalogue and believe me they have lots to choose from. It takes a bit of time, but over the years I have gotten gift cards for downloading books to my ereader, a Garmin watch (to count my steps), a Pandora bracelet, beads to put on the bracelet, and other such things. They also have surveys every so often for extra points. 

I also was asked about my rug... I will take a picture of the progress tomorrow to show you all. However, for now, I will just say I use a rug hooking back that I sewed and edging on and am tying strips of knit fabric on it. The strips are 1/2" wide and 5" long. 


Now on to thrifty past times this week.

I sat last night knitting and while knitting tried to remember the last time I purchased fuel for my vehicle. Finally, it dawned on me that I had not purchased any since the beginning of September. Only using the vehicle at the most 2 times a week and combining errands is working nicely. Today right after Bible study I will go and get our allowances (a couple of days early) as I need to pass the bank on the way home.

Using up the bits and bobs of fabric still. Hoping to cut out a couple of dresses made with knit fabric and use the smaller bits as strips on the rug. 

Organizing the sewing/craft room by using items that are around the house. You know, shopping at home first. Since I pulled some fabric, I have room in a couple of drawers to add fabric that is put in the closet. Thus, cleaning out another area.

Cut up some old clothing that was not suitable for donation or refashioning into useable quilting squares. 

Darned a pair of socks.

Repaired a seam on my winter coat. 

Cut worn cuffs off one of Harvey's shirts and will make it into a short-sleeved shirt.

Processed two pumpkins and some tomatoes for the freezer.

That is about all I can remember. 


Everybody have a wonderful day.

God bless.


4 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading your thrifting tips and it was interesting to read about the Neilson scan/points. I've often wondered if those thing were scams but apparently not.
    I am currently kicking myself over doing something that's turned out to be decidedly NOT thrifty - I threw out my years-old-and-holey winter gloves that I use for driving last spring thinking it was high time I got a new pair. Well, I've been shopping around and am horrified at the price so I think I'll be going without driving gloves this winter and hope that there might be a sale in the spring. I'd like to say I've learned my lesson and won't throw anything out before having a replacement but I suspect I'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful week! I love the shop at home first tool. The Neilson Home Scan sounds like a great rewards program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have joined a few survey sites. I've armed nearly $200 this year in gift cards and several airmile points. I'll have to check out this Neilson Svan too. Anything that saves a few $$ on purchases I would have made anyway is worth it to me.
    Well done on the vehicle fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been a busy bee Jackie. Looking forward to seeing the progress on your rug.

    ReplyDelete