Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Tuesday Tidbits

 

Whoa, the day got away from me. I had hoped to post well before now, but I just got carried away doing other things.


I was asked to post my tomato sauce recipe so here it is.


Tomato Sauce

5 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (1 1/2 kg)

2 large onions finely chopped (I put mine through the food processor)

1 cup white vinegar (250 ml)

2 cloves minced garlic (or the equivalent in garlic powder)

4 Bay leaves 

2 tsp dried basil (10ml)

2 tsp dried oregano (10 ml)

2 tsp regular salt (10 ml)

1/2 tsp pepper (2 ml)

1/2 tsp allspice (2 ml)

1 cup sugar (I use slightly less) (250 ml)


Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil on medium-high, stirring often. Simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until thickened to desired consistency. I use my immersion blender at this point to smooth out any large pieces. Pour into containers, leaving 1" head room if freezing. Or you can pour into sterilized jars to 1/4 inch from top and seal. 

Off to get supper on the table, I will be back to visit you all a bit later.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Jackie. I want to try it with some of the tomatoes we froze from the allotment. It sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm - sounds good! I'll save that recipe for trying next year because it's too late now for ripen tomatoes unless I buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your recipe! I would love to give it a try. Do you water bath process your sauce? If so how long do you boil it for? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete