Thursday, October 13, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 


I have a few thrifty practices to share with you today.


I combined errands so as to save on gas. Our price for gas is at almost an all-time high at $1.80 a liter or around $8.56 a gallon (Canadian and UK gallons). It hasn't been that high in a while so any time I can save a bit, I am going to do so.

Turning the leftover Cabbage bread filling into soup was a great idea. It tasted wonderful and I have two more containers residing in the freezer for meals later on. Especially on those busy nights.

Made more tomato sauce and if the tomatoes ripen even more, I should be able to get at least one more batch done.

Washed the remaining cherry tomatoes and will be using them as snacks and sides for the remainder of the week.

I hope to use up the remaining small cabbage making coleslaw to have with meals for the next few days. 

Free snacks and water at the Bible Study today. That will tide me over until supper time.

Fixed a small hole in one of my favourite sweaters. 

Worked on projects to use up more items from the sewing/craft room. 


I was asked what cabbage bread is so I will try and explain. I make a filling of hamburger, cabbage and onions (salt and pepper to taste) cooked and cooled. I then take bread dough (cheated this time and used some frozen dough) and roll out pieces into squares. A heaping spoonful or two are placed in the center of the bread dough square and then is pinched together well to seal in the filling. The filled "buns" are allowed to rise until doubled in bulk and then baked. Kind of like a German pizza pop. They are very filling.


Everybody have a wonderful day/evening.

God bless.


6 comments:

  1. Hmm that cabbage bread sounds good. We're almost to $7 a gallon but in other parts of California it's higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Cabbage Bread sounds like pasties I make with ground beef but I've not thought of adding cabbage. They are always tasty and filling just like your cabbage bread would be. I find I get a lot from a head of cabbage and it is good for you too. As always an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuel for cars is horrendously expensive here too, so we try not to go out until we have several jobs to do at once, to save on fuel. I've never heard of cabbage bread, what an intriguing idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cabbage bread sounds delicious. Sounds like a good frugal week for you. Your gas is so high, I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're sitting 185.9 here in the city for gasoline. Ridiculous price! Like you, I combined my errands yesterday and don't plan to leave the house until Wednesday next week for my stitching group meeting. If prices have come down then I'll fill, but if not I'll hold off until the next week when I need groceries.
    I'm not sure I could convince my son to eat cooked cabbage, but the idea of filling the buns sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cabbage bread sounds wonderful! Combining errands is something I try very hard to do but life conspires against me and it doesn't always work. This week we have to go out twice that I know of because the appt. to get the oil and the tires changed on the car falls one day earlier than the day we need to get groceries.

    ReplyDelete