Friday, March 10, 2023

Frugal Friday

 


I am sitting here waiting for our storm to hit. It has been snowing lightly pretty much all day and that snow is being blown down the street with the stiff winds we are having. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we do not get as much snow as being predicted. I think the next few days are going to be very thrifty and frugal around the old homestead.

So what frugal things have I been up to this week. 


Mostly the usual keeping lights off in rooms not in use.

Cutting up scraps to work into quilts. I have even started cutting 2" squares....  I refuse to go smaller as my fingers are taking a beating doing these (not to mention my back). 

Still using up bits and bobs from the fridge freezer. It is getting pretty cleared out which makes me happy. 

Saved some plastic bags to be used when the grandcat is here to do the daily kitty litter sweep. 

Saved twist ties to use with the mesh produce bags I made.

Still using yarn from my stash to knit that sweater, which seems to be taking forever.

I decided to try to make crab cakes from those packages of imitation crab I bought on sale about a month ago. The recipe will make 8 so that means two each for supper tonight and the remainder froze to be used later. 


Kurt's good friends that were going to lose their home if they couldn't come up with the $8K the bank said they needed to pay (which they couldn't come up with as Hubby just got back to work) have now gotten that amount. Kurt called all his contacts, I put in $1K (money from my savings envelope, allowances that I didn't spend) and an anonymous doner gave $7K. 

Now this family helped so much when our son was doxxed by far right Neo Nazi's and he was so depressed that he actually thought at times death would be easier. This was something I did not know when things were happening (of course he always told me and his Dad he was just fine...he wasn't), so whatever I could do to help I would do and will continue to do. 

I am now friends on FaceBook with the female head of household and am really enjoying that contact.

This is another reason I am frugal. To help those that really need the help.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



12 comments:

  1. So good of you to help Kurt's friends. It sounds like they've been very good to him too. I wasn't following him during the period he was doxxed, and have left Twitter because of the current idiot owner allowing his style of "free speech".
    We've had light snow here today as well, with the storm expected to reach us by about 7 p.m. Like you, I'm hoping we receive less than the forecast suggests.
    Take care, stay warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you were able to help Kurt's friends. I'm sure they consider you their special angel for reaching out to them. I hope your weather does not get too bad. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've proven by helping out that there's a good reason to be frugal - just so you can do kindnesses like that. Bless you.
    Snowing lightly here tonight too, but not supposed to get too much until Monday when we're in for a lot more (unless the weather report changes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that your frugality meant you were able to reach out and help a friend in need. That is genuinely one of the things it is all about and what a good friend you are.
    I hope the snow isn't too bad. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gesture, and it's so good to be able to repay kindnesses. Your weather there makes ours pale in comparison, I hope it doesn't get too bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great thing that you did donating money to your son's friends. Thank goodness for them when your son was having a horrible time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, such wonderful friends to help your son through a rough time. I’m so glad you were able to help keep them from losing their home. What wonderful people you all are. The world needs more of you. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to have folks to help out when in dire need...good deeds are rewarded in all sorts of ways. Money well saved and well spent, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such good people to help Kurt's friends. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a wonderful thing you have done for your son's friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you generosity Jackie. That's great that you could help Kurt's friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jackie, what a lovely thing to be able to do. I truly believe that the good we do in this world comes back to us - maybe not in the same way, but somehow. 💜 💜 💜

    ReplyDelete