Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Midweek, The Ups and Downs of Life

 


I feel better about how I live my life today. I, really, just never realized that my way of living a frugal life did not measure up to the expectations of some people. That it could be they did not consider me to be frugal enough, that I would not accept other's tips on being frugal, that as a couple Harvey and I had too much money to actually be considered frugal (duh, we have that money cause we are frugal). 

It really bothered me that someone could belittle my way of life so easily, and say that if I wasn't picky in what I purchased and only purchased sale items I could cut my grocery budget even more. There are certain things I need to purchase for health reasons whether they are on sale or not, the rest of my list is on sale items with the occasional treat thrown in. 

We rarely eat out, and only order in on a date night once a month. No bar hopping here, and when the weather is cold we hunker down at home and sit it out. 

The fact is, costs in Canada vary greatly depending on where you live. We live off the beaten path in a small city of about 13,000, with no city supplied transportation, which means driving is necessary. Mind you to drive across the city only takes about 10 mins. Walking would be a bit longer of course, it can be done, but carrying groceries could be a wee bit of a problem. 

Because we are stuck down in the corner of the province we are not near the Trans Canada Highway which is the main route for trucks. They need to take a mean detour south for about 180 miles. This adds costs to our groceries over and above what living in the middle of the country adds. 

So, while we don't have lots of coupons or things like Waggs deals, all of us here do the best we can with what is available. I belong to Neilson IQ (used to be HomeScan) and I scan in all my shopping for points. I use those points to purchase gift cards that I can soothe my book ownership fetish. I love books, and now while this does not give me the real book in the hands feeling, it does help. I also get lots of books free from the site where I get my ereader books from. Use Bookbub and I highly recommend it for book lovers who use an ereader.

Most people I know here use up all they can food wise. I have tried the eating of the broccoli stems, I think that could be an acquired taste, but will keep working on that one. More and more of my friends are planting vegetable gardens, and planting fruit trees or berry bushes. 

I sew most of my own clothing and have even branched into sewing a few things for Harvey. Old clothing that is beyond repair is turned into fabric for quilts, or if it is really bad, rags for cleaning. Scraps of bought fabric are also used in quilts, or some pretty colourful cushions and even clothing if the pieces are big enough.

I knit sweaters, blankets, shawls, scarves, mittens, and socks. I darn and mend what needs it. 

What serves as frugal for one, might not be frugal for another but the conclusion that I have come to is that my frugal life suits me perfectly, and just because I am lucky enough to have saved enough to make my retirement easier does not mean that I am not frugal or ready to try something new on this journey.


So life for me is back to normal for the most part. I will live my frugal life and let others live theirs. My frugal life suits me perfectly, and if anyone has any ideas on how I can expand my frugality (is that even a word). Keep right on putting them on your blogs for me to read.


Everybody have a wonderful day.

God bless.




14 comments:

  1. Some people are just plain critical and it wouldn't matter what you did, they'd still find reason to find fault. All any of us can do is work with what we're given, try to save, and let them live their own lives.
    A frugal thing Resident Chef discovered this afternoon - I don't know if you use a FoodSaver or not, but if you do, he tried using it to seal milk bags (the inner bags) and it works perfectly. We won't have to buy the small FoodSaver bags if he can re-use milk bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, frugality is a word and you exemplify it admirably, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always sound like you are doing fine on your journey through life.

    I slice broccoli stems and put them in soup. If I'm feeling flush I chuck in some blue cheese and blend it. It's good. Well if you like blue cheese.

    Keeping on being you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that you are going to keep on doing you. No need to change anything when what you do works for you. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that someone questioned your frugality. You've been an inspiration to me (and I'm sure many others too) Jackie. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone, especially since they have no clue about what your financial situation is. I'm glad you're not letting the naysayers get you down. Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, Jackie. I am so glad you have worked this unkind (or, perhaps, just careless and thoughtless) criticism through and are at peace with your take on this whole frugal continuum. It works for you, it is achievable for you and you are happy with how it all goes. That's the important thing.
    (Personally, I really admire what you do.)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always say I'm frugal in the boring stuff so I have more to spend on the interesting.
    Ignore all the grumpy people who just like to stir things up to get a reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No one is perfect, we all do what we can, which is better for our planet and our pocket, ignore those who comment, they do not know you or your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people just can't help being spiteful. How sad their lives must be. We can all only be frugal in our own way - we're not all in the same situation or have the same ideas. Carry on as you are, it's your life x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness gracious, I still don't understand how anyone might consider your life not frugal enough. Unless you went off the grid, I don't think there is much more you can do. And you certainly are way ahead of me...when I first retired, my idea of frugal was not getting my nails done every few weeks. From your blog and others, and the impact of the pandemic, I have learned a lot. So whoever had a bee in their bonnet over your methods, should sit down and say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just keep doing you, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jackie, First of all, we all have different needs and values. Secondly, you are so much more than "Frugal". You do write about and practice frugality, but that is not your only dimension. You are creative, resourceful and compassionate. You are a loving wife, Mom, sister and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, you are a QUEEN, frugally speaking, lol. I always am challenged to do better when I read what you do and how y'all live. Don't you dare bow your head on this. As my mama used to say all the time when she'd hear someone being derisive, "How about you sweep around your own front doorstep and I'll sweep around mine?" LOL

    ReplyDelete