Thursday, March 16, 2023

Thrifty Thursday

 


The sun came out and things are melting once again. Slowly but surely there is bare ground in some areas. I didn't sleep at all well last night and so have been forcing myself to stay awake. I will have a lovely hot soak tonight and crawl into bed with a book a bit early.


So what thrifty things have been happening on the Phillip's homestead this week. 

I saved a net bag from the sweet onions I purchased a few weeks ago, and a net bag from the oranges I purchased at the same time. I am going to try and make those into dish scrubbies. I found some directions online and will give them a try.

Hung clothes on the lines downstairs, and today hung the sheets up down there as well. I had planned on washing and hanging up the rags but didn't get that far. I will do so tomorrow.

Using up more yarn from my stash to knit that sweater (I may actually finish it this week). 

Cut more scrap fabric from other makes. I will be busy making quilts for awhile. They will keep us warm and toasty on those cold prairie winter nights.

Turned down the furnace during the day and will turn it up before bed. 

Combined errands, but did take the car out twice. I had a bag full of donated clothing and got rid of it right away. I am not tempted to go through and take things out now.  

Making new meals out of leftovers, and saving those for another meal.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. I tried using the net bag from the onions for a suet holder on the bird feeder. Apparently the birds don't like it as they haven't touched it. Scrubbies sound like a better idea.
    I did pick up some yarn at Value Village this week that is meant for making scratch pads. It seemed to be a kit and has a pattern in the bag too.
    Freezing here this morning, -22C, and supposed to get even colder over night. Spring can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the opposite - I need the temperature turned down to very cool when sleeping. The teens stay up later than us, so they say it's now too cold to study after I turn down the heat. They go into the family room, and pile themselves with blankets. ;-) Luckily, spring is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must try that tip with the mesh bags...have never thought of that but it seems to be the same material as scrubbies. Also hanging up sheets in the basement laundry room. I hang shirts and sweaters but never the sheets. I don't know why I never thought of that. Our furnace is set to come on once late in the night/early morning as we heat mostly with the fireplace stove insert. It is a saving I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the opposite with the heating because we prefer a cooler temperature at night. Most of the time we leave our heat alone with the thermostat set to a comfortable temp for DH in the living room where he spends most of his day...lower temp in my sewing room and hardly on at all in the bedroom (electric heat so we can control each room).

    ReplyDelete