Saturday, March 11, 2023

Saturday Roundup


 I have sat (well worked I guess) through a major blizzard here in Saskatchewan that once again shut down surrounding highways. This time however we were even asked to stay off city roads as drifts in some areas were well over 4 or 5 feet. Right now I think we have about a 3 or 4 foot drift behind the car shelter, and probably close to a 5 foot drift blocking our back gate.  

This is what was in front of our door this morning and what greeted me as I gazed out the window.



Harvey had fun digging his way out and down the stairs. He could have almost this amount to do once again, now that things have settled down a little bit. 

I have spent the week getting a few small household and project tasks done. 

I used up some rhubarb from the freezer making two loaves. The loaves are now residing in the freezer.



Today I made a Dutch Apple Pie. Why is it storms make me want something sweet to eat?


Instead of sewing I decided that I should do a bit of cutting scraps of fabric left from clothing I pulled apart (mainly a pair of Harvey's old jeans) and scraps of the fabric I had used to cut out patterns. 

I even cut smaller 2" by 2" squares. My fingers are glad I am done for now. Lots of small nicks from the rotary cutter, but no massive blood loss this time around.




You can just barely see the 4"x4" squares I managed to cut as well. Filled up that box nicely.

I did some work around the house, the monthly cleaning chores are pretty much caught up, and a bit more work done in the sewing/craft room to neaten things up.

Used up more items from the fridge freezer and I hope to get even more used and out of there this week. I think I will be making split pea soup for the freezer. 

Kurt sent me a text yesterday saying that some of the elementary school teachers were asking if there was a chance of mittens next year. Yes!!! Another way to use up those bits and bobs in my yarn stash. I will start on those very soon. Hopefully I will have quite the selection when he comes home this summer to visit.

Funny thing happened. I got an email yesterday that I almost deleted, but thought I should look at first. I was one of the winners of a $500.00 Visa card on HomeScan this month. Filled it out and emailed it to the people that needed the info. I did a bit of a happy dance and am looking forward to spending that. They do this drawing every month and after 10 years I have finally won something.

Off to get supper started, and visit a few blogs.

Everybody have a wonderful evening. 
God bless.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win! I`m sure you will put it to good use. Lucky you didn`t delete it but I am sure they would have contacted you some other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, well done on the win. I won a Visa draw for tickets to the olympics with £200 to spemd back in 2012 and I almost deleted too! They sent me a special prepaid card with "Congratulations" printed on which I still have (but I have spent the money!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of snow Jackie. Congratulations on your win. It feels wonderful to have a bit of luck on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to have a win! There are so many scams out there, so glad yours was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely surprise - congratulations. The snow looks - well, amazing and the baking delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the win - that's a nice prize!
    You certainly got more snow than we did. I hope this is the last of this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant win, well done! I'm sure the money will come in very handy.
    That's a heck of a lot of snow, Jackie, how on earth do people get on if they are physically unable to dig themselves out like Harvey did. It doesn't bear thinking about :( I'm so glad we haven't had that depth of snowfall to contend with here in our part of the UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you thought that email was a scam, you can never be too careful these days. How fortunate it was all above board, thsts a nice sum to win, happy spending!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your lovely prize! Oh my, that's quite a lot of snow. Your baked goods look delicious! I, too, enjoy baking when the weather's bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lot of snow. I think I've gained weight this winter simply because of baking during these snow events. Trying to make the house cozy and in turn I've put on about 5-10 pounds. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your win! I would likely have deleted it without reading it because I never open anything unless I know who it's from.
    I wonder if we all went outside and yelled 'stop already' towards the sky if Mother Nature would listen?

    ReplyDelete