Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Tuesday Tidbits


 

Just a bit of a back story on the embroidered blocks. 


Years ago when my Mom was living, she loved to embroider. Many a western shirt was done for Harvey and for my brother-in-law. She also loved to embroider tablecloths, dresser runners, and linen dish towels. In fact when she passed away and I went through all the craft supplies and yarn Dad brought me from her stash, I found a set of stamped dish towels that she was probably making for my niece for her wedding shower. Finished those off and made a set for me as well.

I have slowly been making my way through the yarn (mostly baby yarn, so lots of sweaters and blankets made for new additions to the family) and I am pretty darn close to using that all up. I have also slowly been making my way through the pre-stamped tablecloths and dresser runners. 

I have even managed a baby quilt from the pre-stamped kit she had. Well not really I still need to do a bit of work on it. One of these days it will be totally finished and handed on to a new member of the family.

One day Mom and I were shopping and I saw these blocks in what used to be McLeod's in Swan River, Manitoba and happened to mention how pretty they were. I went home and never thought about my remark again. That is until I was going through the items I had put away... Mom went out and bought 3 sets of 15 blocks, probably just before she was diagnosed with lung cancer, which eventually lead to adrenal cancer and her death. 

At the time she would have purchased these kits there were 3 females that were in the family, my sister, my niece and myself. Now there are a few more, but I will make the kits up and decide what to do with the finished quilts later. Might take me a very long time, but eventually I will finish them in memory of my Mom.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

5 comments:

  1. I know the embroidered blocks you speak of. I pick them up in thrift stores when I see them. It's good to know your Mum's stash is being used instead of donated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you are getting around to embroidering the blocks. I'm sure your mum will be very happy to know you are doing that.
    My mum used to do a bit of patchwork quilting when we were younger. I'm not sure she ever finished a quilt, but I can remember seeing one that she was working on and this inspired me to try my hand at it. It really is my happy place and I am grateful to her for that. Even though she is no longer with us, I like to think she is around and can see my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great you're able to finish so many of your Mom's projects. What a special way to remember and honor her. Please share pictures of the projects. Would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love to embroider. I have a set of blocks from my sister in laws great grandmother that are done and need to be put into a quilt. Someday!

    ReplyDelete