Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Midweek Appears......

 


I was asked to post this recipe and I am very happy to. It makes a rather large batch.


Eggplant Chickpea Stew

1.5 lbs eggplant in cubes
Pickling salt
olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 diced green pepper
1 carrot chopped
6 cloves garlic (you can use what would be an equal amount of garlic powder)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (can use regular paprika)
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp pepper
28 oz chopped tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of chickpeas

Heat oven to 400. Place eggplant cubes in a colander in sink and sprinkle with the salt. Leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. In a large braiser (I did not have one of these so just used my big frying pan) heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium high. Add onions, peppers and chopped carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring. Then add all the spices, bay leaves, and garlic as well as a dash of salt. Cook, stirring until fragrant. Now add the eggplant, chopped tomatoes, and chickpeas with their liquid. Bring to a boil for 10 min, stirring often. Remove from heat. Here I put the mixture into a large casserole. Cover and put in oven for 45 mins. Check to see if more liquid is necessary.

Serve hot.


Pretty much all our snow has gone once again. We managed to reach double digits today. Now if only the ice under the water would go away it would be perfect. That being said we have a rain and snow mix headed our way. Perhaps even as early as tonight. Things will not be pretty on the streets once again, icy, and dangerous. I do hope the weather improves for Christmas.

I now have my new crown and will need to be careful for a few days flossing, but at least this finishes my dental work for the year. I now have a break from appointments for a month. I will have my mammogram on the 9th of January and I hope to get in to get new lenses ordered as well.

Both Harvey and I were a bit flustered a few days ago. Harvey had shoveled off the deck and was having a break when I looked out the window and saw our front had been shoveled as well.  Turns out that our new neighbour shoveled it off for us. So very kind of her. 

I now notice that this post has a background colour. All because I copied and pasted the recipe. Oh well, what will be, will be. I don't know how to get rid of it, so here it will stay.


Everyone have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. That was very kind of your neighbour to do that for you. She's a keeper. Glad to hear that you've fininshed your dental treatment for a while. I remember having my crown done this time last year. I was so glad when it was all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new neighbour, though I suppose since I'm the new neighbour here, I might have to shovel for at least one of my neighbours. :) Actually, they are out clearing the snow before I do, as they have to go to work. My son drives over it and I shovel later in the day.
    I'm not looking forward to tonight's rain/snow mix. The roads around here will be awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe looks good. I'll have to add it to my recipes I'm wanting to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Resident Chef refuses to eat eggplant, otherwise I would be giving him your recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete