Thursday, December 14, 2023

Thrifty Thursday

 


I am beginning to see the results of our thrifty lifestyle. We are making less garbage, having less waste of food, and while prices have risen in the grocery store by cooking from scratch, adding in meals that are meatless and making our own soups costs, are not affecting us as much as others. Stretching leftovers out into new meals is also thrifty and something our ancestors did often. 

I no longer toss the heels of bread or dry pieces of bread. I grind them up into bread crumbs or cut into cubes and make croutons. Cracker crumbs, if there are any are added to the bread crumbs as well.

We don't go for a drive just for the sake of getting out of the house, there is always an errand to be run along with the drive. The only exception to that will be when we travel down to the Regional Park to see all the Christmas lights. 

It is not thrifty to not make use of all we can. Bags from bread, buns and fruit are saved to be used for other purposes. The same goes for the elastics that are on broccoli, asparagus, or green onions. One never knows when an elastic will be needed for something. 

Becoming thrifty helps save not only money, but the environment, and resources. Something all of us should be willing and able to do.

So cheers to a thrifty lifestyle and many more years of thinking that "Thrifty is cool."


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

10 comments:

  1. It's good that thrifty is finally cool these days when the costs of living are high. Thankfully, we've had plenty of practice over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still more wasteful than I'd like to be, but I can certainly say, things are better now that I'm retired and take the time to pay attention to things like this. I did chuckle at the heel of the bread - that's actually my favorite part, especially toasted with peanut butter. Or even better with salmon salad. Sounds weird I'm sure but it's a treat I ate as a child and still love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I one hundred percent agree with you Jackie!! All those small items of thriftyness add up to a big saving!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading about your thrifty moves. Growing up in SA, being thrifty was a lifestyle to us. We had very little waste. I've always added lots of veggies to my meals (so we can get extra fill of veggies instead of just having 2 or 3 as a side) and realised that it actually bulks up the meal. Stay safe & warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like Maebeme, the heels of the loaf would be toasted with peanut butter on them. We always save those elastics, bread clips and twist ties. If Bill ate soup, I'd surely be making use of veggies. Meatless though is not a goal of mine. It is necessary in our diet.
    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the toasted heel of the bread with peanut butter on it. It never goes to waste! When I was a divorced mom of three boys, I learned how to be frugal because if I wasn’t, we wouldn’t eat. I remember one Christmas all we had was tomato soup and those cheap jiffy blueberry muffins. No heat in the house. Oh one day I may share those struggles but now I look back with fond memories and I learned a lot about doing without and being content. Yeah they were good times, just a little tight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It only takes a moment to think how to be best as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caught up on your posts. I hate financial meetings we have one today and I'm not really into that stuff. But necessary. You do so well with being thrifty and you are so right, it is good for you and the world! I was at the thrift store this week and was shocked by the piles and piles of Christmas stuff in perfect condition. Really no need to buy new that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! That is why I love your blog! I really don't want to be anything else but thrifty!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thrifty, particularly now, definitely IS cool! We try very hard to reduce our garbage but it rankles me that so much that we buy is in packaging we can't recycle. If there's an option to buy something without all the packaging we do, but often there's no choice. And now I hear that the ban on plastic bags is being overthrown....why?!!!

    ReplyDelete