Saturday, December 16, 2023

Saturday Roundup

 


While I have gotten cleaning and projects finished this week has been more of a figuring out how I can manage to up my frugal measures in the coming year. Prices keep rising, our sons may need a bit more help over the coming years, and I want to leave this planet in better shape. 

Things could be a bit different on the old Phillips homestead over the upcoming year. I am still working on a few plans, but here is what I have come up with so far in addition to what I talked about in my last post.

This upcoming year is all about cooking with my appliances. I figure a person could save quite a bit with 110 electric over using the oven. It isn't like there are not a great many appliances in this house already, and cutting back on electric use would help save the planet as well as cash. I am also planning more use of the BBQ and smoker this summer. Hey, we own them so may as well use them. I even have a side burner on the BBQ that could be used as well.a

Another method I am going to use to save this upcoming year is plant more food items. Harvey always plants the garden, but I think I will add to the harvest by using pots to plant a few more veggies that I can harvest and process. The same goes for herbs and things I can use to make salves, lotions and potions. Things could be slightly different when it comes to flowers this year. I am actually pretty excited about this. 

I also plan on foraging a bit more or seeing if I can manage to get fruit for a minimal cost. I already forage dandelions, but I plan on doing much more of this. I know there are people in my city that want to get rid of apples and such every year and next fall I am going to take advantage of that.

It will also be a continuation of a no waste/little waste year. I have found that using everything up that I possibly can is an awesome way to save. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


6 comments:

  1. I love these ideas Jackie. I'm looking forward to planting again. I missed it this year. Nothing tastes better than homegrown produce. Hope you & Harvey have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention a lot of things that will help for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant ideas and I look forward very much to reading about them during the coming years. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. No waste/little waste is a great way to save, Jackie. Do you ever watch Prepper Princess on YouTube? She has some cooking videos of things she does in her yard to save money like solar cooking. It's pretty interesting and certainly saves on fuel. It will be interesting to read your journey this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found that some plants to really well in containers, others not so much. I never had any luck with cucumbers, but peppers and tomatoes did well. Surprisingly so did potatoes, though I suspect Harvey grows those in his garden. If you plant some in containers that may free up more space in the garden as well. I always plant marigolds with tomatoes because they're a good companion and help keep the bugs away.
    Good idea on the appliances, I really need to put my slow cooker and air fryer to better use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to think about ways that you can be more frugal or eco friendly. There is always more we can do. Sometimes I get a bit lazy and I admit that I need to put more thought into these things in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete