Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Tuesday Tidbits

 


Wow, not much time left before Christmas and a full house once again. I, just might be getting a bit excited. 

According to the long range forecast there is nothing nasty coming up even well into the new year. I might not have to worry about the sons getting home for the holiday.

I have mentioned how Kris grows veggies hydroponically in his basement. This week he sent me a picture of his mini tomato harvest.


He said this was almost 5 lbs of tomatoes. So he spent the time to peel them and process it down to tomato sauce. He actually got 1 1/2 lbs of tomato sauce as well. He planned on freezing this batch, but the next one he is going to can. I told him he might need a pressure canner to do it due to the lack of acid in the sauce (needs more than the natural amount). Kris texted back that he found one on sale and purchased it. He figures he can put up more of his garden this way as he does not have a great deal of freezer space. A much braver person than me I must say. Told him that once he masters that canner he can teach me. 


Still using things up here and I am gradually seeing space coming in the fridge freezer. Right now there is still more in there than I would like, but I plan on pulling out my FoodSaver and getting things in order once again. 

I have a few strange ideas for next year. I have a feeling Harvey will think that I am going a bit crazy. The few projects I have in mind may save us some cash, but we shall see. I am not too sure about one of them, but unless I try it I will never know if it will work.

I put some YouTube videos up for chair exercises as well today. I figure on adding some more movement to my day in the new year. I did try one of them out, and wow you do get quite a work out. I will need to pull out a different chair though, my dining chair just does not cut it. Lots of folding chairs downstairs that I can use. Just have to get Harvey to pull one out of storage. Back before Covid hit I had lost 30 lbs, now I have gained it all back and then some. Going to get rid of that excess.


Off to get the pizza made.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


7 comments:

  1. That is so cool to grow veggies like that. You must be proud of him. How neat.
    I think we all could use more exercise in the winter months - I know I could. Summer I do good.
    Mmmm pizza sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He doesn't need a pressure canner for tomatoes. Just a water bath canner as tomatoes are high acid and you add the lemon juice/or citric acid before canning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great crop of tomatoes. Now I've had a few days rest, I'm starting to get excited about Christmas. Good for you for trying the chair based aerobics. Good luck with that in the New Year. Keep us posted with how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kris is quite the gardener, and he's been rewarded with a good crop of tomatoes. He's obviously learned lots of lessons from you, and is prepared to invest in the equipment he needs to process the harvest.
    I'm intrigued by the chair exercises and may take a look.
    The excitement is real here too, as I'll be spending it with my daughter and grandson. I'm so very happy for the good weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing crop of tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done to that canning son! What a great achievement. I will be interested in hearing what your new ideas might be. Weight seems to creep up on us at these older ages, I think. Keep moving is good for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris obviously has a green thumb - good for him! And good for him for being willing to attempt canning them (to say nothing about peeling them all!!).

    ReplyDelete