Friday, July 8, 2022

Frugal Friday

 


It has been pretty boring around here after Kurt left on Wednesday. Hot, muggy, and mostly overcast each and every day. Not conducive to working outside (mosquitoes are getting big enough to carry a small dog off), and barely decent enough to get a couple of walks in this past week.


I haven't driven the vehicle once which is adding up to great savings.

The rest of this week will be one in which I am using up food that was made while Kurt was here. This means a few changes...Today instead of Glace and fried eggs we will be having a chef's salad. Using up the chicken breast a few slices from a package of ham, the remainder of a carton of eggs, and some grated cheese from another meal. Tomorrow night will be baked spaghetti and garlic bread (or buns). Saturday night will be the leftover pork casserole from last night. Sunday the leftover Baked Spaghetti. Stretching what we already have gives me a frugal rush.

I did manage to get out in the very early morning three times for a walk. Great frugal exercise, and perfect alone time. 

I have managed to dehydrate a few herbs, and used the remainder of those dried and bagged last year to fill the containers one last time.

Working on the knitted blanket and using up various bits and bobs of yarn that are left. So far it is coming along very nicely. Should be a warm covering come winter for snuggling and reading a good book.

Today I have spent some time cutting scraps down into 4 1/2 squares for quilting, and cutting apart jeans and the shirt that Kurt brought home to also be cut into those squares. Too small pieces have been disposed of, and those bigger pieces have been collected to perhaps be cut down even smaller. I hope to finish the remainder of the cottons tonight and start on the jeans at some point tomorrow.

So those are the frugal past times for this week.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.





5 comments:

  1. I don't get out like I used to. I used to love to boogie around town, shopping or window shopping. I love to do that but I can't see doing that now - why look and drool over things I may want when I know I don't need it. So I have really cut down.
    I go to the store twice a week - it's close to our house - about 2 miles. I would walk it, but there is a old narrow bridge that has no walkway - and the cars drive fast - at my age I'm afraid I might get hit. I used to walk it 14 years ago, and I was scared back then. But with the EV its no big deal to drive the 2 miles.

    At times, I do feel like I am going to scream - due to having to come up with things to do to fight the boredom. And to think I am a homebody but even I get stir crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so lucky when it comes to the pesky mosquitoes - they don't seem to want to fly as high as our balcony so it's relatively bug-free out there, at least until wasp season starts.
    Being able to use up leftovers makes for an easy week and frugal too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds brilliant. Delicious, frugal and inspiring. Thanks you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie, I am glad things went well with the reunion and it looks like folks were well fed too. I'm also glad you explained glace. A friend of ours who had a German mom, made these for us once. She was boiling them when we arrived and served them with a chicken and gravy like sauce. I loved them. Anyway, weather is still strange here...very cool overnight and days with lots of rolling clouds between bits of sun. I just love all your frugalness; I am so like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The heat is definitely on! I was out early this morning to do a bit of watering and it's definitely going to be a scorcher. The humidity is high too.
    I won't be surprised to see some thunderstorms this weekend. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete