Thursday, July 28, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 


Usual thrifty habits going on. I am working on learning how to dehydrate dill and I think I have it figured out.

I got to go and pick cherries at a friends and now have made 2 containers of pie filling (wish it was more) and am dehydrating those that are left. Not wasting anything this year that's for sure. 

Continuing to make the best use of leftovers possible. Sometimes we have another couple of meals (usually another supper for the two of us and a lunch for Harvey or I).

The garden is starting to produce a bit more and I am looking forward to it's bounty. That is provided the bunnies don't decide to eat it all.

Today we went looking for a trail camera. Harvey found one at Canadian Tire and was hemming and hawing about purchasing it. The darn thing was about 45% off so I said buy it and that will be my present to you for Christmas (he will still get some pajama bottoms so he has something under the tree). 

Then we checked out the new meat store in town. He prices things in kilograms and many items were much cheaper there than in the store. We bought some steaks (not really needed, but the price was great) and a cooked chicken that was on sale (definitely not needed but greatly appreciated by me ... no cooking tonight). If the meat tastes good I will be purchasing a few things there for some savings and to help out a new business. 

Most of my watering has been done hauling pails and watering cans around the garden. Tonight will be hose as I am tired and want to get some pies and perhaps some muffins made using the last of the pumpkin puree from last fall. 

I don't think I have ever seen my big freezer this empty before, but using up what needs to be used is a very thrifty move.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. good job on your Thrifty Tuesday. You always impress me with how you come up with new ideas to save - on many things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spend a lot of time carrying watering cans round the garden too. It is all so dry at the moment here, and looks as though it may well continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making room in the freezer for the extra garden bounty coming your way.
    I bought my daughter a whipper-snipper at CT on my last visit, along with some gardening tools. Told her they were her birthday/Christmas gift. Nice to have one gift out of the way. :)
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting a cooked chicken now and again can be a real treat for the cook! And you can still boil up the bones for stock. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to use up some of the longer standing contents of my freezer lately. Sometimes I buy things to try, but then never reach for them, so I'm trying to use them up and clear some space for allotment produce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I no longer have a big separate freezer. We have a small refrigerator/freezer in the garage. IT works out well for just the 2 of us. The other big freezer was just too big and most of the time it was half empty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading what you said about hauling pails of water for the plants reminds me of something my mother did. We lived on a farm so of course had a well that had the more important use of watering the livestock. She always saved our bath water and carried it out to put on the plants.

    ReplyDelete