Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Mid Week Yet Again


 

Cooler weather has prevailed over the past few days. I was worried that the air conditioner would come on last night but it didn't and hasn't come on today either. Love saving power and only wish it could last. By the weekend however we will have warmed up considerably and there is very little chance of the air conditioner not starting up. 

I have been drying herbs this week as well as the two cups of cherries I managed to rescue from one of our cherry trees. I was lucky enough to get to a friends place and pick cherries off their one tree yesterday. Today I processed them into 2 containers of pie filling and they now reside in the freezer downstairs. I do hope I get the chance to pick more and perhaps make another two containers of pie filling. I do have a small bowl of cherries left so will dehydrate those tomorrow and add them to the others. This is my type of foraging and I will be keeping my eyes on Facebook to see if any other friends have fruits they wish to get rid of. 

Dill is taking over the garden and I spent some time online learning how to dry it. This is going to be a year of using up all we can from the garden, perhaps even in new ways. I will harvest the dill fronds tomorrow morning and get them washed and ready to go in the dehydrator. 

We have a momma bush bunny and at least one baby in the yard. The baby scared Harvey while he was in the pumpkins. He saw a tiny creature scurry out and at first thought it was a small rat or larger mouse. He soon realized it was a baby bunny. Hmm, where there is one baby there are bound to be more.

Meals are being prepared, but there are so many bits and bobs that tonight the scheduled meal is being interrupted. I will be pulling those bits and bobs out and we will finish them off. We can easily have the soup and sandwich night tomorrow.

Shopping went quickly yesterday and even though prices have risen I think I managed to get enough on sale (even if it was at the old regular price) to keep the grocery bill low. Even managed to get a few stock up items. 

Projects are moving slowly, probably because of working on harvesting the garden and going shopping yesterday. I will continue to work on these and perhaps start a few easier Christmas gifts. Kurt wants a t-shirt rug, and Kris wants a quilt that fits his bed. Those are going to take awhile. I have some smaller things in mind so hopefully I can get those completed quickly.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

6 comments:

  1. I think I'll call you the energizer bunny....you're always so busy and productive. Will the t-shirt rug be made from Kurt's old t-shirts? I can imagine it takes a fair number of shirts to get one rug.
    Speaking of cherries, I made the mistake of buying some at the store today. Almost $10. I better enjoy every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie, fresh cherries sound wonderful. I grew up with chokecherry jelly and my memory of it is that it was delicious. You did well to get to pick some cherries. I should get serious about Christmas gifts too...I have a couple of requests that I really need to start. It is almost August for goodness sakes, where is the time going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live such a busy and productive life. Thanks for sharing about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The t-shirt rug sounds interesting. My garden is getting harder to keep up with. I have Siamese twin-tomatoes - two grew into one tomato. Weird. Zucchini got ravished with bugs we could no longer control so that got yanked out. We've got bell peppers, tomatoes, and beans but the heat seems to really dry them out. Sometimes, I don't know why I even bother. With all the water, its cheaper to buy them at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you blog, as it is peaceful to me. We had to lower the air conditioner today as it is 108 here and blistering hot. I had it at 76 but went down to 73. I have a bad cold and having trouble breathing keeping it cooler helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do envy you your garden. All we have now is what Resident Chef can manage to squeeze onto our balcony. He planted several cherry tomatoes but it appears they must have been mislabeled at the store because they certainly are a lot bigger than true cherry tom's, although still smaller than regular tomatoes. Could be the growing season is weird this year.

    ReplyDelete