Thursday, July 21, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 


I thought I would ask what being thrifty means to all of you. To me it means using what you have, finding new and interesting ways to use things, working with the environment rather than against it, knowing the difference between a need and a want, saving for big things, and just plain being satisfied with what you have.

We usually take a trip every fall, but I am not too sure this year. Heading to a cabin is so relaxing for me. Harvey cooks and I just get things prepared. We always go out for a meal for one night, and the rest of our meals are very simple. Covid cases are on the rise, I know more and more people who are coming down with the virus. I even know some anti-vaxxers who have actually admitted they had it (more or less had to as their close contacts needed to be contacted). So far we have not succumbed and I would really like to keep it that way. 

So perhaps our trip this fall will be to visit Kurt for a few days before he needs to go back to school, and a stop in Regina to visit Kris for a couple of days. There are a few sites in both places we would like to visit. Both trips could be combined and thus save us a bit of cash. Could even do a stock up while we are in Regina.....

So what thrifty things have I done this past week. 

Saved a few of the plastic bags that veggies come in. I may pick up some tulle and make some bags as I am not sure how long these will be supplied as another grocery store has stopped using plastic. 

Almost used up a rather large ball of cotton yarn making the purse. I will be using up some of the pink lining I bought many years ago to line it. 

Taped my cell phone together to extend it's working life. I hope to get another month or so out of it. If not well, at least I have tried. 

Put some leftover veggies in a container in the freezer. Harvey was going to throw them out, but I rescued them.

Made two tin foil meals from leftovers to give to Kris when he comes home next.

All leftovers have been used up so far this week. My no waste plan seems to be working and even Harvey is getting onboard lately.

Baked buns twice over the past week. I picked days that weren't overly warm and used the oven very early in the morning. Now I have extra buns in the freezer downstairs. 

Harvesting herbs, cukes, lettuce and green onions from the garden. I can actually say the lettuce was free as some me planted last year must have went to seed and started growing again this year. Hopefully the same thing happens this year.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.


8 comments:

  1. I think you have described thrifty quite well. I read your description twice and couldn't think of anything to add to it. Tony and I don't travel anywhere together. I was hoping to get home this summer, but recently feeling more I can't handle the whole rigamorole of airports, etc., more covid worries, etc. I do hope you get to go to the cabin which also sounds relaxing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I think being frugal is doing the best with what you have and not spending on needless things. Keeping life simple really and being resourceful. I hope you get a trip away this summer, it's good to have a break where you can relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a really great frugal week. Using up leftovers to avoid food waste is so good and frugal. And rescuing the vegetables for the freezer is another good rip. I ate two of the beans and greens for lunches I put back into the freezer a month or so ago. It’s like getting a free lunch one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So agree with you Jackie. It's the little things that matter, veggies go into soup here, bread makes crumbs and is stored in the freezer, leftovers are used up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, you've captured the description of thrifty very well. The difference between wants and needs have become very apparent to me since I've retired. I'm not doing as well with the food waste as I would like, but my son is definitely not a fan of leftovers (unless it is one of his favorite meals). So I end up having them for lunches most of the time....and sometimes I just don't feel like it.
    Probably where I thrift the most is in my clothing. I haven't bought many new pieces, just "new to me" in the past couple of years. Too, I've joined the free group on FB for the city and I've been able to give away some items that otherwise might have ended up in the landfill.
    The number of cases of this newest version Covid are worrisome, so I understand your concern about travelling. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too think your definition is on target. I do find that at this point in my life since finances are not tight then I am putting more weight on how my decisions affect the environment. Sometimes that saves money and sometimes that costs more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think being thrifty, means using what you have to the best of your ability and not wasting. It can also mean doing without the things you really don't need. Finding ways to make do. It is a creative skill and that is why I like it. Love you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We pretty much always use all our leftovers by either eating them over a few days or putting part in the freezer for future use. We've always eaten that way. I rarely buy new clothes because our lifestyle is such that I don't need them. If we are out and about we immediately change our clothes when we come home and put on easy-care lounge clothing (mainly a simple t-shirt and a pair of either flannel or cotton lounge pants or, for me in the summer, a long dress). We can get multiple wearings of our 'good' clothes before needing to wash them saving wear and tear.

    ReplyDelete