Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Midweek


 I thought that I would spend Wednesday answering questions. So here goes.


I always use scraps leftover from sewing clothing, or old cut down jeans (the sons always seem to bring me bags full of old clothing and jeans I can cut down) to make my quilts. The only quilt that I have actually bought fabric for is my brick quilt, which has been put away until I finish all the Christmas gifts.


The knitting stitch I am using is a very simple one. It is knit three, purl three and then depending on what multiple of three I used I make sure to use the opposite on the other side. I use the same pattern when I make the prayer shawls for the church. It works up quickly and looks much more intricate than it really is. 


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.



4 comments:

  1. I admire anyone who knits - I can't, having been shown by my Nanna and Mother several times and just not being able to grasp it (they were both great knitters). Oddly enough, I can crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I'm concerned that's the way quilts SHOULD be made. I guess I was influenced by the ones my grandmothers did...they used scraps and scrounged fabrics from friends.
    Interesting to hear about the knitting pattern you use, but I'm still astounded at the speed you manage to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have thought it was a simple repeat of the knit 3, purl 3 - it really does look more intricate than that. Very nice. I don't often knit blankets - I prefer to crochet because they work up so quickly, but I can see how this would be good too. The ribbing would also help with the weight and warmth of the blanket. Thanks!
    I've no ability to sew a straight line and that seems to be a prerequisite for quilting. I like your idea of using old clothing though - both sustainable and thrifty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keeping the left over scraps, I cut off pants gives me enough denim to do all my car quilts. I just stack them and save them. Never buy anything.

    ReplyDelete