Thursday, November 10, 2022

Thrifty Thursday

 

Another week has gone by between Thursdays. My goodness, time is speeding right by. Days are getting shorter, and nights longer. Time to enjoy the peace and tranquility of our homes. Hope all of you managed to get the winterization of your yards and houses completed.

So, what thrifty practices have taken place on the old homestead over the past seven days.

I have been trying to do more appliance cooking this past week, and now that the oven has gone once again on vacation, I can see myself using other means of cooking for a while. Harvey is going to check things out once again and try something else to see if he can fix it.

I have cooked once and eaten twice once so far this week.

Using up those pesky bags of leftover meats in the fridge freezer. 

Darned a pair of gloves, I should get one more year of wear out of them.

When we were in Regina, I managed to purchase everything on sale which saved us quite a bit of cash.

Processed another three pumpkins before the oven went kaput.


Maebeme, I bought my rug backing at Fabricland. The first one I had purchased at Walmart years ago. They no longer seem to have it in mine here in Estevan. I am pretty sure you could use yarn to make a rug. You might have to use more than one strand in each square, but it is very doable. I actually have some pieces left from this last purchase and will try that for the next rug.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.




8 comments:

  1. Well done on the shopping savings! After reading your post about the oven before, I've decided to buy a toaster oven too. That way I have a backup plan, should the oven ever fail.

    Do you own an instant pot Jackie? I cook so many things in mine. My one is an air fryer and slow cooker all in one too. Best money I ever spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the answer. I may have to look into buying a piece of backing. I'm thinking of all of the bits and bobs of leftover yarn that I don't like throwing out.
    I purchased an air fryer this week - it should be here by next Tuesday. My daughter has one and uses it for a lot more than French fries. I'm hoping to use it rather than the oven for many things. My slow cooker is my other go to. We had stew done in the crock pot yesterday (along with cheese biscuits so the oven did get used).
    I hope Harvey is able to fix the oven, I'm sure you've got some holiday baking in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to answer questions Jackie. I should do that sometime too because I often forget what was asked. Meanwhile, great thrifting there. I made a trip to Giant Tiger , a place I seldom go as it's a bit further away, to stock up on tp and other things they had a good sale on. I too am melting a couple of things in my sink that have been frozen awhile. I think it is strawberries and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear your oven is taking another unsanctioned holiday - hopefully your DH can convince it to come back.
    I tried to be frugal this week but ended up ordering a Kitchenaid mixer for my Resident Chef (Christmas present for both of us because I get to eat what he makes). He was saying that his hands weren't coping with kneading bread so enter the Kitchenaid which he's always coveted.
    As for me, I went through my crafting books and downsized 23 of them which are on their way to the library book sale. Thrifty? Perhaps not, but I feel a whole lot lighter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the oven, & hope Harvey is able to get it fixed!

    It's been super busy in our world, so we are just hanging in there. We definitely cooked once, and ate 2-3 times this week. It was no one's favorite to eat so many leftovers, but we were just swamped with life, work, soccer tryouts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Harvey is able to fix your oven. That’s good you got some of the pumpkins done before it went kaput. Darning your gloves to last another year will save money. I’ve kept several items in my wardrobe over the years going by mending them. I hope you have another good and thrifty week coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "winterisation" - I like the word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have crocheted rugs from bread bags cut in strips and they last forever and can be hosed down.

    ReplyDelete