Friday, January 8, 2016

Frugal Friday

Ahhh, the end of what used to be our work week. The days are whizzing by at an astonishing rate once again.

This week has been a very frugal one.

Using up those leftovers from the freezer and fridge kept our weekly grocery bill down. I only spent $128.41 and at the end of my receipt it says, "Today you saved....$15.22". That was without coupons as I had none for what I needed. For those of you in the UK I spent  £62.36. This should last awhile except for the fresh food and dairy, I will have to pick up more next week. However I did make a list and stick to it!!!

We have been making our way through all those leftovers. They are so yummy when you make a new meal out of them. I find myself planning for leftovers, so perhaps a better name would be "Planned overs".

Today while glancing over the sale fliers from our various grocery stores I came across an ad for meat pies being on sale.... Two meat pies for $7.99. I know for a fact that I made 11 meat pies using my machine for that price. Two versus eleven. I think I won in the savings category. Insert fist pump here.

I have been taking my walk every morning for exercise, however the weather is taking a turn for the colder and I have a feeling I will be using the treadmill downstairs for the next little while.

I have been watching free tv by using the android box that Kris got me for my birthday. I finished one series and have now started to watch those episodes of Little House on the Prairie that I do not have the DVD's for. My were they frugal back then.

A friend gave me a bag full of buttons that were in her father's apartment. As she said he will never sew and so I got them. I do not think I will need to buy buttons for a good long time.

Reading free books on my ereader and I plan on downloading a few more today. I like to have a great deal of reading material available. Lots of choice and free is wonderful.

Up until the last couple of days we have had loads of sunshine. That means solar heating for the front of the house!! This helps keep our electrical bill and our gas bill lower.

Today I started listing our camping items on our city's many garage sale sites. I am hoping to make a bit of extra cash, but even better things will be out of our home making me feel better about how much "stuff" we actually have. I am hoping by the end of this year to remove at least as much as last year from the house.

Harvey had wanted me to buy some new frying pans, not a chance as the ones we have can be used for a bit longer. Lo and behold, while cleaning up and getting the camping items cleaned I came across two lovely and heavy frying pans. I remember buying them as the one in the cheapo set we were using was just not cooking properly. Now we have heavy new frying pans and I won't be asked to please get new ones. The old ones will be scoured and I have an idea of what I would like to do with them...... It will be a surprise.

I have even started a free course on Spanish to sort of get a bit of understanding and some speech for our trip in a few months. I am surprised at how much my limited ability in the French language is helping.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment