Thursday, January 21, 2016

Thursday Tid Bits

It has been awhile since I posted a new recipe. Mainly because it has been so cold that I have stuck to the tried and true. Tonight, however, I wanted something new for the leftover chicken (thought I had some leftover turkey, but didn't).

So, after an afternoon of working on those pesky sewing projects and completing one, I decided to search on line for something new (or at least new to me and mine).

I found Chicken Hash. While it looks kind of bland the spices and herbs really made this dish.

Chicken Hash

1 1/2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1" pieces (I used regular red skin potatoes)
9 tbsp of olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oven to 400 F. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 3 tbsp of the oil, Kosher salt, and pepper. Bake until tender, browned and slightly crisp, about 40 minutes. Set aside to cool.

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used about 1 1/2 cups shredded leftover chicken)
8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and quartered (I used two cans of sliced mushrooms, drained)
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red chili peppers (I used crushed red pepper)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley (I used 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley)
Poached eggs for serving (optional, I didn't use them)

In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 3 tbsp of oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper, working in batches add to pot and cook turning once, until browned and cooked through (omit this step if you are using leftover chicken). Transfer cooked meat to plate and set aside. Add mushrooms to pot and cook, stirring until browned. Since I was using canned mushrooms I added them to the 3 tbsp oil along with the thinly sliced onion and cooked until the onion was tender, stirring. Add the thyme, crushed red chili pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Shred the chicken and return to pot along with the chicken stock and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until all ingredients are warmed through. About 6 minutes. Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with poached eggs if you want.

This dish had a bit of a bite to it and smelled wonderfully.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. it surely does sound good and I happen to have some chicken I baked just yesterday...yum...thanks for the recipe...and glad to know you got one of the sewing projects finished...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound tasty. I really like that kind of simple dish.

    ReplyDelete