Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Trying To Stay Afloat

Canadians have been warned that grocery prices will be going up due to the falling dollar. I did not notice a great increase in prices until I went shopping today.

I had kind of glanced at a few items that I knew I would need soon the last time I went shopping and saw what they were priced at. This week when I went to buy some of those products I was shocked and dismayed at how much they had risen in price.

I always buy good quality bread flour and last week the price was $6.99 for a 5 kg bag. This week that same bag of flour was $9.99.

My bread machine yeast was $5.99 a container last week, and this week it was $6.99.

One medium sized green pepper last week would have been about $0.79, this week the same green pepper cost me $1.25.

Don't even ask what a few cauliflower florets cost. I don't think I will be buying very much of that for awhile. I will wait until the farmer's market starts again before I purchase any.

A head of ice berg lettuce was $2.99 last week and this week it was $4.99.

Fresh veggies are sky rocketing in price and who knows where the price will land.

I didn't need to buy much in the way of fruit....just some bananas. Funny thing is those are the same price. I did notice that pears had gone up from $1.39 a pound to $1. 99 a pound.

Mushrooms are still the same price as well.

I see lots of stir fries and casseroles using frozen veggies in our future.

Harvey and I will do just fine. I am more worried about those who have lost their jobs due to the economic downturn, or young families. Eating healthy will not be an inexpensive proposition. Those who do not know how to cook from scratch or shop the sales will be in big trouble.

I think families here will have to learn the frugal habits of using up, making do, and doing without. This could be a hard idea for some to wrap their heads around as this city was one of the big oil boom places of the last few years. Going from making a wage that some people would give their right hand for, to unemployment is tough.

Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. OOO, I know. The price of food is going up up up...while the gasoline is still falling around here. I saw a sign today for $1.39 a gallon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jackie, some of those price hikes are huge and quite shocking. It must be very worrying. Thanks for posting about it, as it may reach us at some point, so a warning is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! I'll be doing my monthly shop tomorrow so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I'll be doing my monthly shop tomorrow so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete