Monday, March 9, 2020

Why?

I think the world has gone a bit crazy lately. 

This Covid-19 virus has brought out the worst in people around the world. Fights over toilet paper for crying out loud, people coughing in others faces, shelves stripped of antibacterial products, shelves stripped of food, and because of this limits being placed on what people can buy.

These things are not only happening in places where there is a great outbreak of the virus, but in the larger centers of relatively virus free cities (okay some of these cities are hit by the virus). 

Panic causes people to do some very strange things, and it seems like when one person starts, more follow. Kind of a herd mentality I think.

I watched a video today on Facebook of people rushing into a Costco store in the United States all heading to the toilet paper. People could have been seriously hurt as the carts were pushed willy nilly towards that area of the store. Once there the shoppers threw package after package into their carts. Not content with one package of 48, I saw people putting 6 or 7 packages into their carts and pushing their way out of the crowd, not caring if they hit the person behind or beside them. 

How much toilet paper do you really need?

I do stockpile to a certain extent, but never would I need that much toilet paper (probably would last us at least 6 months). 

My friends husband cleared off a shelf here in Walmart of hand sanitizer and keeps going back to see if they have more. He has also been stockpiling Lysol disinfectant, wipes and sprays. In fact he was quite happy to note that he had cleared the shelves of those items as well.

I told him maybe he should concentrate on food as they seem to always be heading to the store to pick up some edible or another.

Me, well I am very well stocked in the meat department, and my canned foods (tuna, salmon) are good as well.

I am not going to go overboard, just pick up my medication, buy some tinned fruit, and some fresh veggies that stay in good shape for at least a week as well as some frozen veggies as well. I will make sure I leave plenty for others as well. 

I will also make sure to take some items to our food bank. After all those that use this service need the food as well.

Everybody have a wonderful evening. 

God bless.




10 comments:

  1. Jackie, I agree with you about people going crazy.having said that if you have to self isolate for any reason it will be fourteen to twenty one days so for me a week is not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a carton of 48 rolls of loo roll before Christmas 2018 and am still using it and I always have a well stocked store cupboard. I am very lucky. It is those who have a much more hand-to-mouth existence and rely on food banks who will really suffer. Like you, I'll be taking stuff to the food bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness...haven’t you been through it this past month...glad that Kris is on the mend...don’t forget to take care of yourself also. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just pleased that I stocked up a couple of weeks ago before the rush started proper. I'm now back to doing my regular weekly shops and might throw one extra item in here and there where it's available. There were some noticeable things that I couldn't get at my regular Lidl this week, namely antibacterial wipes, hand sanitiser of any description, the cheapest brand of toilet rolls and organic eggs this week, so they're doing well enough restocking, but the queues were lengthy and it was virtually impossible to park in the car park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that here in London, there is talk that soon people staying at home with any minor respiratory condition, i.e. colds, sore throats, etc. is on the cards. LB has a cold at the moment, so I'm hoping I don't catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great reminder about those who need resources from the food bank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Juhli, your reminder is timely.

    I do agree people should be prepared to stay at home for a couple of weeks, but toilet paper isn't going to be the cure. My hope is the labs are able to find a vaccine sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHY????????????

    Have you looked at what-passes-for-the-news, lately????????

    The main message is PANIC, PANIC, PANIC!!!!

    THAT is why people are being pushed into panic mode!!!

    Prudent preparation, is wise. And then, keep washing hands, etc.

    Courage!

    🌱 🌸 🌱 🌷 🌱

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with you. I like to remain calm and when I do, people get mad at me. Everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon of Panic. I refuse.

    I went grocery shopping yesterday. I didn't buy anything extra. The shelves were stocked so that was good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I and my family are well stocked up. We could easily be good for food for over a month. Thank goodness for gardens, having the know how to can and preserve. I had to go to Costco yesterday to get a load of coffee for work. I thought I would just check the toilet paper. There were two women there with big carts grabbing bundles of toilet paper like there is no tomorrow. There were two bundles left. I gave her the evil mom eye, she left one for me. Haha
    I agree with you all about those who use food banks will need help. Also the hospitals here are having a hard time as people are finding ways to steal cartons of masks, wipes etc. Where will it end. BTY I did need to TP. Jean

    ReplyDelete