Thursday, January 12, 2023

Thrifty Thursday

 


So another day of living a thrifty life and enjoying my anniversary flowers. They give a pop of colour to my dining room table on these winter days.

So what thrifty things have I been up to over the past week?

Using up all the food I can, nothing is going to waste. 

I have been collecting the bags out of the cereal and cracker boxes and cutting them so I can fold them and later perhaps use them in place of waxed paper.

I cut some old clothes down to useable fabric (yeah Jackie more fabric, just what you really need). 

Pulled some yarn for a project to work on once the prayer shawl is done. It will use up some yarn I have had in the drawers for many a year (bought some of it back when our Walmart was a Woolco and before they got rid of the fabric and cut down on yarn). 

I did have to raise one budget line after I got our heating bill today.... Boy did that jump. 

Enjoying free to me television. Keeps me occupied when doing my simple hand quilting.


I got a notification for a friend's birthday on Facebook today so I decided I better go online and wish her a wonderful day. We first met on a Frugal Forum about 16 years ago and became good virtual friends. I got to her page and got quite a shock.... She had passed away at the beginning of December. She never once mentioned being sick when she would post on the forum or on her FB page. It is so sad as she had young children the oldest is 20 and the youngest is 8. A pretty big family. She had breast cancer awhile back and beat it. So very upbeat through that whole challenge. I will miss her.


Everybody have a wonderful evening. Give those you love and care about a shout as you never know if it will be the last time.

God bless.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. Must have been a nasty shock. A horrible reminder that none of us know how long we have left on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your friend - that's so sad and especially so when she left such a young family.
    My thrifty effort today involved hauling out a bunch of bits of quilt bat and seeing how many 6" squares I could cut from it. Saved the cut off bits from that and intend to cobble them together to make more 6" squares. Managed to get 60 squares which might be enough for the project I have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad to read about your friend and having such a young family. I often wonder about some of the people that suddenly, with no explanation, stop blogging. Were they just tired of it or was it something far more serious. I guess we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, discovered an old acquaintance had died while we were out of touch for awhile. When using cereal box liners for a wax paper substitute be careful around heat (such as lining baking pans) because not all liners are made of waxed paper. Some of them are made of plastic. Take a small piece and light it with a flame to see if it burns or
    melts.





    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats such a shock when we read of the passing of a friend Jackie .. I can well imagine how you felt. So sorry to read this. I hope you enjoy the weekend (its Friday here now) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. So very sad.

    We have solar panels, but our house is heated via gas (hot water tank, heating system, stove/oven). Our power bills were absolutely outrageous the last few months - close to double prior months. I don't know if electricity has gone up as much as gas, but I'm grateful we at least have some price protection there, thanks to the solar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never have too much fabric, Jackie! Never!

    I'm sorry to read about your friend - sending loving sympathy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's sad news indeed about your on-line friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. Her poor family. It is so sad. But you are right you will never know how quickly your life can change.

    ReplyDelete