Friday, November 10, 2023

Frugal Friday


 

Wow, it is the second Friday of the month, only two more Frugal Fridays and we will be into December.


Once again I have continued with my frugal habits, and they seem to be second nature for the most part. Not many new ideas have been added, but I am getting pretty proficient at those that have now become habits.

1.  Harvey is turning off all lights in the basement now, and I make sure that lights in rooms up here that are not being used are off as well.

2.  Handwashing dishes once a day, and using the dishwasher only every second day, making sure it is a full load.

3.  I have added some meat free meals to the menu rotation and that seems to be working well. This week we have had the Eggplant Chickpea Stew (along with homemade flat bread), and tuna patties. Pretty much each week contains two meatless meals. 

4.  I am doing a bit more cooking using appliances rather than the oven. I have also cooked twice and eaten four times. Making big batches is saving me time in the kitchen.

5.  Working on using craft supplies up. 


Maebeme wanted my recipe for Chicken Noodle Casserole, so here it is. This makes a big batch. Harvey and I had two meals each from this and there is enough leftover for lunch tomorrow. I think it could be halved very easily.


Chicken Noodle Casserole

12 oz uncooked egg noodles

4 cups chopped leftover cooked chicken

2 cans cream of chicken soup (I used cream of mushroom)

1 cup milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 cups frozen peas and carrots (can use mixed vegetables instead)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

salt and pepper to taste

cooking spray


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9X13 pan with cooking spray. 

Cook the egg noodles as directed on package. In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Place the mixture in the prepared dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley if desired (I used dried). 


Everybody have a wonderful day.

God bless.

7 comments:

  1. Your noodle casserole sounds scrumptious! And so easy, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habitual frugality is the ultimate aim, isn't it? Good for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I'd definitely make a smaller portion but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbor came by yesterday for a chat and we talked about almost the exact same recipe. He loves making it, and his ingredients are almost the same. He said his girlfriend loves it too.
    The weeks sure are flying by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the summer I use a toaster oven over the oven, primarily to not heat up the kitchen; but have always assumed it uses less electricity; but in the winter I don't tend to do that. Typically I have multiple things in the oven at one time, so there wouldn't be enough room in the toaster oven...you have me curious, what other appliances are you using to be frugal? The chicken casserole sounds good and reminds me pretty much of how I made my tuna noodle casserole. Making mental note to try chicken in it sometime. Thanks for the ideas. I try also to turn off lights not in use. Hubby is not good at turning off lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, the chicken noodle recipe sounds nice. I too like cooking bigger meals and freezing the second half for later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chicken noodle casserole sounds delicious. It's so nice when frugal habits become second nature. It makes them so much easier to do that way. And meat free meals definitely saves money. I have a couple of them on my menu list for this coming up week. I hope you are having a good weekend and continuing to heal.

    ReplyDelete