Friday, November 17, 2023

Frugal Friday


 

Frugal Friday on the old Phillips homestead once again. These days seem to appear a lot quicker than a few years ago. Either I am losing days, or getting old and just forgetting. 


So what are my frugal saves this week.


1.  Saving on power and gas by having the drapes open.

2.  I put $100.00 in my savings envelope and emptying Harvey's pockets another $4.10 in the change jars.

3.  Using up lots of bits and bobs making meals.

4.  Bought all groceries on sale except for the milk. Best deal were the 18 count eggs, and some mushroom soup. 

5.  Reading free books that I downloaded on my ereader.



I still see costs going up. The hams I used to purchase have increased in price exponentially. I am wondering if we will ever have the ham we love again, even though I get lots of meals from that ham purchase. I think $75.00 is outrageous, even though we could afford it. Many other sale prices are what the old regular price was. It is getting more and more difficult to stay within the grocery budget. Heck it is getting pretty hard to stay within any of the budget lines. It is a darn good thing us frugalists pay attention to the little things.


I finally got the other seam on my dress taken out. Fixed my mistake and did a bit more sewing. I decided to wait on doing the sleeves. That will be tomorrow's job along with the hem and I have an idea on how to fix the collar. 

I spent last night and part of today knitting. I made note of my changes to the pattern (those I am sure I will do). I may make the blue stripes a bit wider just so I don't use up all the white before I finish.

As far as free things this week, there was mouthwash, a can of beer made produced by our Co-op, and a couple of plant pots that I can use next year. 

All in all a pretty good week.


Everybody have a wonderful evening.

God bless.

8 comments:

  1. 8 eggs so far this week from the two hens we bought last year, not bad for a cold, wet, mid-November. I have been freezing a few eggs each week, lightly beaten in small pots, to last us when they have a rest over Winter.

    Here in England, 6 medium eggs are £1.35 but there are fewer in the supermarkets, and a lot of egg producers have gone out of business because they were making a loss.

    Keep warm,
    Nelliegrace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything's going up here too - I guess we had it so good and so subsidised for so long that not the inevitable rises are impacting, it's a shock to the system. Your frugality sounds great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, I balk completely at buying some things that I can afford but the price just puts me off. I think someone somewhere is profiting by all these increases. But I could be very wrong on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely correct that the old prices are now the new sale prices. Yikes, $75 for a ham. I'm glad I don't like ham very much. They had those small hams at Co-op or Sobeys for $8.97 - which were the old price once upon a time. I didn't pick one up as my son likes ham less than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much free here, unfortunately, but I did manage to stay withing my grocery budget this week. Mind you, that was without buying any meat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like you've have a super productive and frugal week Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a free donut for my birthday from Lidl. I shared it with OH thought as it had nearly 250 calories in it. Nice though.

    ReplyDelete